Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vivitar V50 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Vivitar V50 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 38

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Among a number of 35MM cameras I have, I have a Chinese clone of a Minolta 370. It gave up the ghost in London two years ago and it's been sitting on my office shelf since then. Yesterday I removed the bottom to see which capicator it has, and I found a small screw jamming the film advance gears so that the film advance wouldn't travel its full length thereby resetting the shutter. When I removed the screw and placed new batteries in it, it began working again.

However, today in firing off a couple of shots, I noticed that in the viewfinder, the red "A" appears at the top of the shutter speed column, along with a blinking red arrow pointing upward. No matter what I do, change the aperature, shutter speed, turn it on and off, replace the lens, it keeps blinking, and will not indicate what shutter speed I'm shooting at.

I'll try a new set of batteries first, but I'm wondering if anyone out there can tell me what's causing the red arrow to blink.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 73

Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

"A" with the red up arrow blinking means camera is on automatic and out of the faster times - meaning faster than 1/1000th required.
"A" and the lower arrow blinking means out of the slow times range (or below 1 second - not shure what exactly).
When changing the shutter speed setting from A to anything else it should change the following:
"A" changes to "M" the recommended shutter speed is indicated by a non blinking light, the set shutter speed by blinking one.
So if you set e.g. 1/1000th and need 1/2000th the following is to be seen:
"M" up arrow blinking, 1/1000th blinking.

I just tried it on my X-300 which is the European name of the X-300, the Seagull version (under it's various names)is identical.
But unfortunately I have no idea what is causing the misbehaviour of your camera. Maybe it's really the batteries.

Regards
Martin

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 74

Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

erratum:
it should read: ... which is the European name of the X-370

Sorry

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration