Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FE Wind/Shutter Problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Nikon FE Wind/Shutter Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robertf
Tinkerer
Username: Robertf

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone. I just picked up a Nikon FE from eBay, I didn’t actually intend on buying one but it shipped with a Nikon 55/2.8 Micro which I have been wanting for some time.

The lens is working well, however the FE has obviously had a bit of hard life and isn’t working quite right at the moment. I was wondering if any more experienced Nikon users could cast some light on why this might be the case.

There seems to be a total lack of linkage between the winding/shutter cocking mechanism and the winding handle, in other words when I pull back the handle in an attempt to wind on the film and reset the shutter for another cycle nothing happens. The handle moves freely because there is no resistance.

Otherwise I see the camera as being fine, I put some fresh batteries in it and the metering needle moves freely and provides sensible results based on the set film speed and lens aperture. However due to the lack of resistance in the handle (which doubles as the on/off switch) the meter is running whenever the batteries are in place.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me, I’m not hugely fussed if I don’t get any joy from this camera but if there’s a quick fix or something I’m obviously missing it’d be nice to have it running properly once again. Thank you.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 32

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 01:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello
The first think I would try is,with a small screwdriver or toothpick push in the motor drive connection,this is on the base on the lever wind end next to the winder drive slot.If nothing happens,that means the shutter is not cocked.
Next with a coin in the winder slot turn this clockwise,this will cock the shutter,now try the above again,if the shutter fires,good.
With the coin wind on again,and this time try the shutter button,if that works great. but if not you will have get the screwdrivers out and take the top off.
There is a spring on the side of the lever wind assembly that breaks and stops the advance lever engaging with the sprocket shaft.
Hope this helps.
Doug

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration