Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak No.1 & Six-20 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Kodak No.1 & Six-20 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer
Username: Kb2qqm

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I'm new to the forums here. I recently acquired 2 cameras:

Kodak No.1 folder

and

Kodak Six-20 (Uk version)

I am attempting to remove the bellows for rebuilding on both cameras. Both cameras have the bellows riveted to the camera frame.

What size and type are these tiny rivets?

Does anyone have an exploded view of these cameras and parts ?

I sent some emails to bellows makers Worldwide for quotes and also checked Craig Camera.

Will any 6x9 bellows work with this camera?

In rebuilding bellows with these old kodak folders, Does anyone on the internet have a site that posts PDF files for the patterns?

It would be worth the time and effort to put something like this together for the benefit for all of us. That way we wouldn't have to try and reinvent the wheel when we want to replace bellows.
It would even be a great idea to draw the patterns in a CAD program so we could just print out the templates and start cutting and pasting. Maybe a listing of companies for the cloth and glue and such.

I purchased some room darkening cloth (white, with a rubber liner) which I will probably use, with cardstock for stiffners and Black Taffeta for the inner. Someone mentioned calling Porters Camera to obtain Darkroom Cloth.

I believe the Six-20 outer bellows is young goat skin that is shaved very thin.

Other than the bellows these cameras are pristine. I shot a roll of 120 tmax400 through the Six-20 this week and will post them on APUG.org this week...hopefully after Christmas.

Lots of questions Here... I know with your help, I can succeed.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Greg Heath
Racine, Wisconsin...

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Building a set of bellows is a pretty daunting job... Thomas Tomosy has a good chapter on it in his book "Restoring Classic & Collectible Cameras." Check Amazon... Good book! He also tells in his book how to reskin a set of bellows... Still, not a simple task, but much easier than starting from scratch if the inside layers of the bellows are somewhat intact.
Many of the older Kodaks have the back end of the bellows held in place with little bendable tabs. Tomosy also describes how to alter a pair of needle nose pliers to make lifting these tabs easier.
I have to admit I've never attempted an extensive bellows repair myself, usually just regluing things for cosmetic appearance.
Marty

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Marty ! I appreciate your input. Yes, it is daunting, but i have been doing allot of reading. I know that half the battle will be to just get the right tools and materials,thin and lightproof.

One chap I read about said he was using the material from a film changing bag he purchased used on ebay as the inner material. The outer material he suggested using was Ilford black plastic that is included in their 8x10 film folders. Not exactly like the original,but i am more interested in the photos the camera takes and making it functional rather than just a show piece. If I can accomplish both, then that would be great. I'm even thinking along the lines of book binding leather. There will be a way to accomplish it and I will find it !

Greg

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 470

Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Drawing out the patterns is a relatively simple matter, there are some very informative sites on Google - put in camera bellows or bellows construction and see what comes up.

www.cyberbeach.net/~dbardell/bellows.html

The above is just one of many that tells you how to go about it.

Unless you are very good at paring large areas of leather down to a uniform thickness, stay clear of leather. You should also avoid the use of black plastic from film or paper packaging, it does not fold or crease well and the resulting mess is not worth the time or effort spent on the job - black light proof blind material suitably reinforced with black card/cartridge paper is a good starting point.

You should be aware that the following UK firm offers a very good and cost effective replacement bellows service.

Camera Bellows, Units 3-5, St Paul's Road, Balsall Heath, Birmingham B12 8NG UK

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 07:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn. I sent them an email yesterday. Will probably get to it after the holidays. Many thanks and Merry Christmas.

The Kodak No.1 folder does not have tabs under the bellows, so I will have to drill out the rivets. No big deal as I found replacement rivets at a Model engineering website.

Greg

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration