Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

First "vintage" camera...need help.... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » First "vintage" camera...need help. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jay5oh
Tinkerer
Username: Jay5oh

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone, I have a old kodak camera. Dare I say it is my first "vintage" unit. It is a Kodak 35 pre-rangefinder military version (PH-324). I've been searching on here (and the rest of the web) for a while now and haven't found any insight to the problem. It appears the shutter does not work. It is possible I don't understand how the piece works but I think I have a good idea. I've been looking for repair manuals/tech write ups and haven't found any. Any help you folks can provide would be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 191

Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 06:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the film loading and operating is much like the rangefinder version so you could use the RF version manual. I don't remember if you need to have film in the camera to unlock the shutter release or not.

Jay5oh
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

[quote]I don't remember if you need to have film in the camera to unlock the shutter release or not[/quote]

Hi Charlie,

From what I understand you do not need film in it for shutter function...I may be wrong though.

Thanks for the reply.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 751

Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't recall the pre-RF version well enough. On the 35RF, the film cocks the shutter by turning the sprocket shaft as you wind it on for the next shot. If you don't have a manual cocking lever on the shutter, try rolling the sprockets with your thumbs to cock the shutter.

Jay5oh
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick, I tried rolling the sprockets too. I think the shutter is malfunctioning.

Could be that I don't know how to operate it though...

Thanks for the reply.

I'll post some pictures either later tonight or tomorrow..

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 80

Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!
I have a Kodak 35, picked up at a boot sale for £1. It hardly works. Take the cover off the rear of the lens, and there is a little lever. Cock that, and shutter fires. If yours is as mine, then there is a problem between the wind-on knob, and the connection to the lens itself. Maybe one day, I'll get the job done!
Regrads

Jay5oh
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Barnum, would that be the little silver lever marked "A" in the following pictures? On the end with the hook that (I think) is supposed to snag the wind knob gear. On mine the hook does not contact the gear at all. If you roll the sprockets by hand you can see a little "nub" on the gear attatched to the sprockets shaft. If you roll the sprockets far enough the "nub" hits that lever but the lever jumps over the "nub". I don't know how far the shutter lever is supposed to go down but mine goes approx 90% of the slot it travels in. Also the self timer only goes down about 5mm. That is why I though the problem was on the front half, but now maybe there are multiple problems?

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/purple85gt/35.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/purple85gt/352.jpg

Jay5oh
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I think I figured it out. I was turning the sprockets the wrong way. I got it to fire!

Thank you all for the help!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration