Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Off-camera flash cable? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Off-camera flash cable? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 211

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 04:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you get off-camera flash cables with a hot shoe to hot shoe attachment? Possibly a dumb question, but I've had poke round ebay and the 'net and not found anything that matches. Could just be the wrong search terms, of course...

I fancy trying the build-your-own ringflash project in the Christmas edition of amateur Photographer (they reckon under £10 for a usable ringflash - got to be worth a try and, besides, I like making stuff out of rubbish).

Slight problem - it needs a flash you can use off-camera. Mine has a short jack-to-PC cable, so with a longer one of those (already spotted on Ebay) I could use that on my Nikons. However I'd like to be able to use it on my OM10s as well. Hence my desire for a hot shoe to hot shoe cable.

Can anyone help either with finding one, or with what I should be searching for?

Many thanks,

Adrian

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 81

Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Adrian!
Instead of a cable, Have you considered using a photo-electric cell? Easy to find, and cheap. In fact I may have a spare somewhere

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 476

Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adrian,
I suggest you search out Canon's booklets on full accessories for the A1, T90 or EOS film cameras. You will find all the correct terminology for what you require, simple matter to then look for third party items. You can pick up the Canon stuff quite cheaply on eBay sometimes. If I can find my Canon System Catalogue easily - it is in the loft and may not be easily to hand - I will email you details. From memory the items are described as 'off camera flash connector' if little grey cells are functioning correctly. Basically you have a small plastic box with a male and female hot shoe and a PC/special? cable socket. The adapters are connected by one metre or three metre cables. In the Canon system you can daisy chain up to four of the adapters - ie mount one on camera with flash and then three more adapters, each with a flash, mounted on tripods, I do know that when I was using Canon A and T series 35mm equipment professionally, there were plenty of third party adapters available - but this is some time ago. However the same items were then marketed for the EOS film and digital systems - with the appropriate price hike!!

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 212

Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen. I've got more idea of what to look for (and I've asked Barnum for more details off-forum), so hopefully I can track something down. I'm visiting a camera shop in the next few days who sell a lot of "junk" (for which read our sort of thing!)on ebay, so hopefully they have a rummage box, and our local Oxfam are doing their regular camera promotion in a month or so, so I've plenty of options as to where to look.

Many thanks,

Adrian

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 478

Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adrian,
I am sorry that I cannot give you the exact details at the moment. The Systems catalogue that was within easy reach is the 1984/85 edition, which does not contain the T90 system - the adapter in question was brought out specifically for the T90 and then used on all subsequent Canon slr cameras. However I am sure 'Off camera flash adapter or connector' was the description used. I also think that any of the other makers who manufacture semi pro/professional equipment, will have catalogued similar items you could use.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 75

Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adrian,
Maybe something like the Hama Universal adapter could help?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/89977-REG/Hama_HA_6950_Universal_Flash_Ada pter.html

You can also use one adapter designed for using flashes without center contact on cameras with hot shoe (on the camera) and connect a second one which is designed for using flashes that have the center contact to be used on cameras which have no hot shoe. You connect the PC cord of the later with the PC socket of the first.
Like the ones here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=bs%2Cupp er%28ds%29&sq=asc&sortDrop=Brand%3A+A+to+Z&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&ci=3625&shs=&at=Brand_ Hama&basicSubmit=Anfrage+senden
Hama adapter 1 on the camera and Hama adapter two on the flash.
There should be other manufacturers as well - I saw Kaiser on B+H.
I hope the pics illustrate better what I cannot explain so well.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration