Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Scratched lenses Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Scratched lenses « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

carol

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh my gosh. My fuji finepix A205 was what i thought destroyed when husband and son took it to a car show, then lens was scratched and hazy.
But tried the toothpaste tip. and wow!!! my next pic was clear as a bell thank you so much for your advice...... was thinking of having to get new camera. This model is awsome for clarity, and ease of use...
thanks again.
]carol

Don

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wondering if this toothpaste polishing would work on glass lenses also. I have an old Hasselblad that is fairly scratchy and has kind of haze on the inside as well as fine scratches on the front element.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you want to try and polish glass lenses, find a company who supplies grinding and polishing compounds to those people who grind/polish their own telescope optics/mirrors. In most cases you will remove all the coating and this may be more detrimental to performance than a mass of scratches and a hazy interior.

zeb

Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My friend brought her 3 and 5-year-old kids for a visit. Just got the inexpensive Timex watch that was borrowed mysteriously back with scratches in it. They were a bit to deep for the toothpaste so I used some 600 grit automotive wet sandpaper and a little spit to take the scratches out, and then I used the toothpaste. Came out pretty good, very clear. If I hold it to the side in the light I can see a bit of the 600 sandpaper lines but it is barely noticeable, fine for my use. Could use a finer grit (bigger number) sandpaper after the 600 to get those lines out, but I am happy, thanks for the toothpaste method ;)

[email protected]
Tinkerer
Username: Jason_wu

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what is the Toothpaste tip that you used?
Want to Know about it?Cause I have used a digital cameral that has a scratch on my lense, but there is a coating one it. I try to find a store that can repair it. Can anyone tell me where it is and how much would be?

Chekawa
Tinkerer
Username: Chekawa

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cigarette ash can be used as a polishing aid. Click Service & Maintenance on top page then Fungus On Lenses from link below

Found here: »www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B9?Open
--

Chekawa
Tinkerer
Username: Chekawa

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I tried the cigarette ash and it takes forever. However for those who have the interest out their, I now use a Nikon lens pen tip with the ash to polish and the results are super fine polish. It will take very, very fine cleaning marks out of the glass. Don't expect easy results. One factor not to overlook in getting fine results is getting the person who smokes to deposit the ash in a clean container. Note: Deposit ash only don't use butts that have been ground out in a ash tray, this will scratch lens. Keep it dry and it won't stink. But it works.

Adrian_bastin
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian_bastin

Post Number: 11

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For heaven's sake don't do any of this above. A scratch, if it is not picking up a lot of light and passing it into the camera, is only affecting the area of glass that it occupies - the rest of the surface is still working fine. If a surface altering substance is used on it, the area affected becomes greater - say from 1% to 50% or more. Once that surface is altered it's optical characteristics are changed and only precision re-grinding and polishing can restore it

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 110

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes the method indicated in the link by Chekawa works, sometimes it does not, but it usually is not the cigarette ash that scratches the lens instead of polishing it, but any cotton cloth, even if it is a much used cotton handkercief. That sort of cotton (spun and processed) is much too hard. The Zeiss people in the above mentioned link do say "pure cotton", like that one used on cotton swabs.
When cleaning an old 1,7/55 Rokkor heavily affected with fungus I had just cleaned all the lens surfaces of it after a complete knockdown ...
... and then it happened: I spoilt the backside of the front lens (actually quite large and the last one to put back, all others are perfect!) by using what I thought was a soft old worn out hanky, but alas, its fabric was still hard enough to harm the delicate backside coating of which I KNEW that it was as SOFT and vulnerable as all the coatings on internal lenses; it really is amazing how absolutely stupid one can be at times!
So lens repairers, fungus removing people, do be careful not to use anything else than "pure" cotton swabs or you will end up producing soft focus lenses, W.

Robertofollia
Tinkerer
Username: Robertofollia

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about the microfiber polishing cloth that Zeiss provides? I removed (with the fluid's aid) the really really big fungus inside a summicron lens, so big that you could not see through

Lacyt
Tinkerer
Username: Lacyt

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about the eyeglass repair stuff, Liquid Lense? It claims it won't alter the prescription of eyeglasses. Anyone tried ti?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration