Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

So we are all NEW Members now :-)... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » So we are all NEW Members now :-) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roger Provins
Tinkerer
Username: Rogprov

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems odd seeing loads of very familiar names here all now reclassified as "New Members" since the forum upgrade. Must be quite confusing for genuine newbies :-)

Roger

John
Tinkerer
Username: Johnlees45

Post Number: 11

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And for genuine oldies !

Roger Provins
Tinkerer
Username: Rogprov

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, but just think we all start fresh again - all our sins behind us :-)

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 24

Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 04:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roger is right, so let us all be happy: no skeletons in our closets any more !

Dads_cam
Tinkerer
Username: Dads_cam

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi - I really feel like a fish out of water. Can anyone assist me with how I can get appraisals on two old cameras.?

I found them while I was going through some of my fathers items (He passed away Oct. 2004) I can finally bear to look at some of the items, and came accross two old camers that we think he purchased while in the service. (Mid 50's)

FIrst one - PaX N0 - 24313 It has two view finders, A ton of lens extentions, customized leather case, plus a small dangling leather pouch with more lens selections. The camera is chrome and Black and more oval in shape.

The second camera is also in a leather case. Still has the instruction booklet. It is a Foldex -20.

Where do I go from here?

Mike_rgb
Tinkerer
Username: Mike_rgb

Post Number: 14

Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have from time to time used E-Bay as a reference. However I have found the local paper or the weekly papers for used items Cars, land, Computers, etc to be more realistic on price.

Camera Shops are only looking for low mileage Digital Cameras. Think long and hard before you sell them, a grandchild may want them someday. My Dad gave me a Zeiss Ikon Contessa he bought in Service on Japan 1955 worth maybe $25.00 but I will pass it down to my son or his Son instead.

My Father is 94 and I have not had to cross that bridge of loss yet. Many Family members some not yet born may want a Family heirloom, & once sold you can never get them back.

Mike

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 78

Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An Internet search will indicate the rarity of the camera and accessories. I have found camera fairs to be a good pointer in the value stakes. Where you go from there depends on you. I see no point in selling a future Family heirloom that is worth £50/£100 today, as Mike says pass it on, especially if it appears that the kit was well used and 'loved'.

However if the kit is really rare and worth a pot of money, perhaps the original owner would have wanted it sold - the money to be spent on their grand children's education or similar. I know this was the philosophy of my late Father, as for his kit - it is still used on occasion by my Son.

Rob_the_waste
Tinkerer
Username: Rob_the_waste

Post Number: 23

Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Save the camera for your children or grandchildren. I have but one daughter, and she's part of the modern generation of "throw it out if it doesn't think for you." I've tried to get her interested in some of the older cameras, but it seems hopeless. I just hope if the time comes that she has kids of her own, that I'll get to pass them on to someone that might care.

Jimrabidwolf
Tinkerer
Username: Jimrabidwolf

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 02:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok. well - after a very long hiatus, I am back - I see a few familiar names, a lot of new ones. Things have changed for me, I am now retired (early due to disability) Some will remember me, some not, but to all I say, "Hello!" and it's good to find this list again. I have a new website at http://www.unclerabid.com - feel free to drop by and say, "Hi!"

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration