Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ansco Memar Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Ansco Memar « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tagg
Tinkerer
Username: Tagg

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been doing a bit of looking through Yahoo and Google, without very many satisfactory results. It appears that there is only one manual online for the Ansco Memar, and it does not detail repair at all. However, there are quite a few guides for the Ansco Super Memar.

Well, I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself. My name is Neil, and before a few days ago I had never owned a camera. The local flee market had various cameras between $3.00-$10.00, all of them quite old. In retrospect, I wish I would have bought a couple more of them. But I have enough to worry about with the one I have now.

The Ansco Memar was a high end camera back in the 50's, if I am correct. A common problem with it was the range lever being frozen. The one on mine certainly is stiff, but it is workable with a little elbow grease. The main problem with this camera is that the shutter will not close. You cock it with the lever and it only shuts about halfway, and then you release the advance lever and the shutter opens all the way again.

I decided that the camera was definetly not worth sending into a repair, seeing as I got it for $3.00 and it was completely unworkable with the shutter out of commition. So I set out trying to repair it, but it is a complicated little thing.

I have the top off, and that is pretty much it. Is there anyone here who knows how to get to the shutter mechanism? This Memar features a Pronto shutter mechanism, and I am unsure of how to get at it. Any help or links to help would be appreciated. I am just starting into this hobby, and it is very possible that I have found a new passion.

Tagg
Tinkerer
Username: Tagg

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just realized that I posted this under the wrong category. If an admin would delete this, that would be very much appreciated, as I have moved it to the appropriate forum.

Marco
Tinkerer
Username: Marco

Post Number: 11

Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a link provided by Dan Mitchell in this forum as far back as 2004:
"Mick Feuerbacher has a nice article on the Silette.
http://feuerbacher.net/photo/frame.html"

I believe that's just what you need.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration