Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Replacement Leatherette - BEWARE ! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Replacement Leatherette - BEWARE ! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wsboyd
Tinkerer
Username: Wsboyd

Post Number: 23

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw a V.large eBay camera accessory store (unnamed here) offering
Replacement Leatherette for the Yashica FX-3/FX-7.

I noted that the photo showed Replacement Leatherette that would fit, but would leave a large uncovered 'hole'in the front.

I emailed the store to inform them of the error.

Below, I have reproduced their reply in it's entirety (quotes mine) :

"Whatever"

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 82

Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having given them a chance to correct, what may have been a genuine error - Now clearly not so. I think you should name and shame this store/company.

I use Cameraleather.com or Mr Aki-Asahi's ever helpful company for my products. However some people may fall foul of this useless store - they do not deserve our custom.

Roy
Tinkerer
Username: Roy

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon Goodman of Interslice is doing a small range of leatherettes and his rep is second to none. Check the archives.

Wsboyd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 25

Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone interested in lettertte, with extra holes ?
(see 1st post)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7620978247
<http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/ebayisapi.dll?viewitem&item=7620978247>

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have an FX-3 with the rectangular "Kyocera" badge on the front this should be the correct set. It is not an error.

Wsboyd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 32

Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never seen a badged one in the flesh, or picture. (I have four myself)

Still, your answer should have been the vendor reply.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 95

Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Better still; the vendor should have clearly stated which 'version' of FX-3/FX-7 his product fitted. There are a number of sites that show pictures of both versions, so even if this badging is a 'Regional' thing, people would still be able make the correct choice.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps the vendor had four or so FX-3's which had the Kyocera badge and was just as ignorant about the true situation as our original poster. Perhaps he was a bit put off by being told his efforts were an "error". Just posing this as a distinct possibility which should be considered. In repairing many dozen FX's I can say that there are at least three totally different leatherette patterns for the FX-3. That said, it it is the responsibility of the buyer to look at the photograph posted by the seller and determine the suitability of the pattern for their own camera.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 97

Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, the vendor is just plain lazy. He lists leatherette kits for 'original' and 'new' FX-3 models, uses the same very poor photograph for all the listings and shows no close-up of the pattern. The seller is obviously a very large concern. He should produce listings, that enable the prospective buyer to ascertain the suitability of the item. I note that he offers a full refund service. However; I feel this is no substitute for correct information, at the point of sale.

Richard123vmt
Tinkerer
Username: Richard123vmt

Post Number: 11

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a very old post, but anyway, the hole covered by the Kyocera badge is also an access hole to the focus adjustment for adjusting the camera on a collimator--without removing the leatherette.
So--if you just obtain a kyocera badge and tack in over the hole with some glue--you can consider it an upgrade.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration