Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 Program Battery Door Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Canon AE-1 Program Battery Door « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kentuckyed
Tinkerer
Username: Kentuckyed

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an AE-1 P with a broken battery door top hinge. I've ordered a new door but just absolutely can not budge the metal hinge pin in the camera. I've tried every needle nose pliers that I own. So now I want to slot the plastic hinges in the new door to slightly less than the diameter of the metal hinge pin so that I can "pop" the new door onto the pin. Does this sound promising? Any other suggestions? Thanks, Ed

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 148

Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use an ordinary pair of 'Engineer's Pliers' with good/sharp serrations on the jaws. Needle nosed pliers just do not have enough contact area to do the job. Also; as you push the hinge rod towards the base, rotate it back and forth as much as you can. Obviously you cannot rotate to any great degree, but the smallest 'wiggle' can help break the rod free.

I do not think slotting the hinge is such a good idea. The doors I have obtained from various sources are moulded from very nondescript plastic. I do not think the material will have much 'spring', thus the modified hinge may not hold or could even fracture as you try to clip it over the rod.

Kentuckyed
Tinkerer
Username: Kentuckyed

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just replaced my AE-1 P battery cover door. I don't know what 'Engineer's Pliers' are, but I used a small pair of Vice Grips and was able to install the new door with very little trouble. I ordered the new door on e-Bay, 2 for $7.50 plus $1.00 shipping. The plastic seems to be a bit more pliable than the original. But then again the original is 25 years old. Thanks to all who posted on this forum about this apparently common problem. My AE-1 P has a new lease on life. Going to a birthday party later today and will take it along.

Steve_can
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_can

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently purchased an AE1 from a friend. It's in great shape, perfect light seals and mirror foam but it had a cracked battery door. I used a pair of hemostats but they had to be high quality bull nosed medical ones (these were actually an expensive gold plated pair I had)no others would work. Additionally the hinge pin needed to be slid up towards the shutter release button(maybe the AE1 is different than the A1). Any way, once I figured out how to replace it I ordered two doors online. I'm thinking of buying a parts camera to just take it apart a few times and get to know the AE1.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 12

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 05:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re Steve_can, where did you obtain the spare door from?

Steve_can
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_can

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From ebay, but don't get one there, they're garbage. Go here : http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=CF1-1489

Nikos
Tinkerer
Username: Nikos

Post Number: 36

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What you have Steve is not a hemostat but a needle holder. The gold plating means they have tungsten carbide inserts. The best tool for the job although a bit on the expensive side.

Sql33
Tinkerer
Username: Sql33

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to replace the battery door on my A1 (not AE1) .. I have the door, but need guidance with replacing it..without breaking the camera!!! LOL

Thanks!

Eskander
Tinkerer
Username: Eskander

Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope this isn't too late for you Sql33 but I have just replaced the battery door on my A1. Ordered from ebay. I found that I need to use good pliers to push the hinge pin "upwards" ie towards the top plate. Rotating it as you push helps. It should come clear at the bottom end so that you can ease it out and attache the new door. Don't loose the little hinge spring! I'm really please with the result and it was not as difficult as I was expecting.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration