Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus XA needs replacement red shut... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Olympus XA needs replacement red shutter release button « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Badbear
Tinkerer
Username: Badbear

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Somewhere along the line, the red shutter release button on my Olympus XA dropped off.

Other than that, my camera is in great shape.

Would somebody be willing to sell me a replacement button, maybe from a dead XA camera?

It think they're simply glued on, so you could probably pry it off.

Thanks.

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you can get hold of a duff XA3, the button will fit with a careful bit of grinding away (use a Dremel and a fine tip )you have to shape it on the inside,I have had to do this in the past.

Best of luck.

Chenard
Tinkerer
Username: Chenard

Post Number: 15

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made a replacement shutter release button for my XA out of a red plastic lid from a peanut butter jar. (Flavourite brand, crunchy.) Just cut it a bit over size and trim to shape until perfect. Not exactly the right colour, but close enough, and the texture from the lid was close too. (I also experimented briefly with green (Flavourite, smoothie) and blue (Skippy), but decided that my little XA looked best with an orange/red release.)

Paul

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 59

Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Badbear, where are you? I have a dead XA in pieces and I think I could find the button and mail it if you're in the USA. Getting even little XA bits to Europe may be more difficult.

This reminds me that somewhere, probably on this forum, I responded to a request for an XA base plate, promising to look into shipment to France, and never managed to do so. If the person needing that base plate is still here, please let me know and I'll try at least to find out how possible it would be. I do have it.

Tourino
Tinkerer
Username: Tourino

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an old Olympus XA but it misses red shutter release button. Does it function without the button, just pressing under its location? I have not tried it yet (I will buy batteries today!)...

Tourino
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 06:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again!

I bougth new batteries for my XA and I could see that camera works: its meter on finder shows speed, it responds to change on light/ISO/diafragm but I can't fire shutter since button is not good (in fact there isn't button!). I could press two or three times the "button" (place where it would be) and shutter fires, but this is very difficult and it's not useful to take pictures.

Has someone any idea to fix it?

Tourino
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Again...

Can I use XA2 button on a XA to fix it? Is it the same red button on both cameras?

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 24

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it you in the Yahoo XA group? If not there was a similar question there. Answer (by an experienced Olympus repairman) was: No, you can't

Chuck_a
Tinkerer
Username: Chuck_a

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used a red guitar pick trimed to fit,and 3M double sided scotch tape to stick

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration