Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica 35CC electronics problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica 35CC electronics problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Koniomegaman
Tinkerer
Username: Koniomegaman

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received a Yashica 35CC from an auction and the cosmetic shape is good but there is a problem that I can’t figure out. I knew that the camera had a problem when I bid on it but I thought is was the ”pad of death” that I have fixed before in a GT. When I took the top off of the CC, surprise, it is not the same as a GS/GSN etc.

I installed a fresh battery just to rule out the battery. Here are the symptoms:

The battery check lights up but the shutter only fires at the highest speed like on a GSN with a bad pad.

The meter arrows light up but they are very finicky, you have to get the shutter button in just the right spot. I checked the battery compartment and it is very clean and I checked the bottom of the camera too. This is where I wonder if the problem lies. There are some brown wires soldered together in a suspicious poorly done manner.

1) Does the CC model have the same Pad but you can’t see it?
2) Any other ideas based on the description of the problem?
3) What would make the arrow lights functional but intermittent?

Any possibility that anyone could make a good macro shot of the brown wires on the bottom so I can see how they are supposed to be connected?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Scott

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 53

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. The CC does not have the PAD
2, 3. Electrical contact problems

I could send you a macro shot tonight if it is still needed then.

Reiner
Tinkerer

Post Number: 54

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is shot of the wiring at the bottom of the CC.

Concerning the flickering arrow light I would check the switch(s) which must be connected to the shutter release.

shot of CC's bottom wiring

Greyhoundman
Tinkerer
Username: Greyhoundman

Post Number: 45

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 35CC does have a POD= pad of death. I've replaced many of them. They are internal behind the lens plate.

Koniomegaman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the pic of the bottom Reiner,
I hadn't checked this post for a couple days because I didn't think it went on the forum. I thought my browser was locked up and yet, here it is. I started the disassembly and now I need a couple tips. I am this far (see the image)

1) how much further on the lens plate do I need to go, and what do I remove to get there?

2) As I removed the f/stop ring this little crescent shaped piece came out and I didn't see where it came from. Where does it go back to?

Thanks!!!!!
lensmystery

Koniomegaman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And, after looking at Reiner's shot of the bottom, I compared it to my shot and it looks like his has a connection that mine does not have. Is this a concern?
bottom

Reiner
Tinkerer

Post Number: 56

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wiring under the bottom in detail

Please have a look at this more detailed cutout of my picture above. I can not tell if a missing brown wire is a concern but I suspect it is. Apparently there is no part missing at the depicted place.

The little crescent shaped piece in your former picture is the cover of the self timer lever. Place it's cutout around the lever. It is intended to move with the lever within the lens barrel.

I have no idea how you can get deeper into the lens barrel but my suspect is that you should concentrate on the wiring of the cam's body.

Reiner
Tinkerer

Post Number: 57

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having a closer look at your picture and at mine I see that the boards of the cams have a different layout. So these cams are not comparabel. I have some more CCs and I might open them. Please give me the serial number of yours. I would look then for a similiar one.

Koniomegaman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Reiner but I think I'm just going to re-assemble it and send it to Mark Hama. I've taken it as far as I want to and for a reasonable fee, I should get back a 35CC that works great instead of another sad donation to my parts box (QL17, GSN, HI-MATIC 9)
I can fix some but others become pinhole cameras!

I really appreciate the tip about the self timer cover and photographic examples that you shared. Hopefully, I'll have a victory post in a few weeks after the rebuild.

Koniomegaman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good news! I have a working 35CC. I sent it away and it magically came back working. It's amazing what 8 days and a CLA + repair can do for a camera. I have some samples of the first roll here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottstillman/sets/72157604034359219/

Tjommy
Tinkerer
Username: Tjommy

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a question concedrning 35 CC\CCN
1)Is there a pad of death or not?
In my camera the shutter release button not always opens the shutter whem pressed-sometimes i have to press it couple of times to make it move. Also it doesn't goes up after taking the shot - it stays pressed until I rewind to the next frame.
2)How can I screw off the front lens?

Tomisimpern
Tinkerer
Username: Tomisimpern

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 03:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tjommy, yes I'm afraid there is a POD - see Andrew's excellent shots of his here:-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29271559@N02/3566212505/in/set-72157618738188567/
I'm just in the process of replacing mine and it's not so heinous - remove the top and bottom covers, peel off the leatherette, unscrew and remove 2 lots of lens plates, and slightly move the lens assembly to get to the POD.
Cheers,
Tony

Ashraf
Tinkerer
Username: Ashraf

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello,i am new to this sit.i have a yashica electro ax body in near mint condition,but it has a problem.with the battery fitted,the camera fires correctly on all shutter speeds on manual,but there are no arrows visible,i dont know if its meant to be like that.on auto setting the camera fires on one fixed speed only.but it does show the top arrow in the viewfinder when i change shutter speeds or the aperture,but it does not show the bottom arrow.i am mechanical minded person.i have stripped the camera down.i have includid couple of large clear shots of the camera.i would be greatfull if some one could help or post some photos of the problem.
best regards

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration