Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME and Program Plus Film Door ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax ME and Program Plus Film Door Won't Close « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Smata67
Tinkerer
Username: Smata67

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These have sat around for a bit and both are experiencing the same problem. The door doesn't engage when I close it. I have to "push" the edge of the film door inward, as if the door has stretched out a bit. See my attached picture, hard to explain in words, I know. Door might also be a bit loose when closed. Will replacing the light seal solve these problems? Are there any adjustments that can be done to the door to improve closing? The seals don't look particularly bad, but I may go ahead and replace anyway. What thickness of open cell foam should I use? I am thinking of making my own seal, not interested in a kit.
application/pdfPentax Door
pentaxdoor.pdf (36.1 k)

Jon_goodman
Tinkerer
Username: Jon_goodman

Post Number: 17

Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Often I see this situation when somebody has pushed the film door too hard in the center. If you will open the film door and look critically at it, you may see it curves a bit to the middle. It doesn't take much deflection to goof things up, either. You can gently bend it back straight, and then things should get better for you.

Jon

Aerowoof
Tinkerer
Username: Aerowoof

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you would be better off buying the seal kit from jon goodman.I bought the large ket for $14.00 enough to do about a dozen cameras.comes with very detailed instructions.the hardest part I found was cleaning the old foam seals from the camera.I go thru the instructions and cut all the pieces to size and place in a pill bottle.then spend the necassary time cleaning all the old seal residue from the camera can take a few hours.then replace the seals in a few minutes.I just got the pictures back from a nikon fe that I did as my second job and they are great.got the camera cheap due to a crank came off the rewind spool and could not open the back,came with all the parts.$26 great deal.the precut 2mm strips to go around the door are a real blessing good luck trying to cut them straight and uniform

Teraforce88
Tinkerer
Username: Teraforce88

Post Number: 13

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding the film door issue, I had the same problem with my Minolta XE-7 (except the door was nice and tight when shut). In addition to the film door itself being bent, you might want to check the latches on both the film door and the camera body to see if they're bent. The film door latch on my XE-7 was bent (along with the door itself). Bending the latch back, along with pushing the left end of the film door when open (to bend the door back) fixed the issue.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration