Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Jammed-up Fujica 35 Auto-M Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Jammed-up Fujica 35 Auto-M « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chaffinch
Tinkerer
Username: Chaffinch

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a cosmetically very tidy Fujica 35 Auto M, but the shutter and aperture rings are locked immovably at 125th/f.8, and while the winder works and apparently cocks the shutter, the release produces a firing sound but with no movement from the blades. The Copal Magic shutter is apparently a rather unique and complex mechanism, and I'm loathe to start digging into it without advice or manual. Has anyone encountered this problem, or can offer help?

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 106

Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 01:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Fujica 35 Auto M is built like a tank and well engineered but the seized shutter and aperture ring condition which you describe is common par for the course. There is no easy solution. The required complete stripdown is economically unviable since these models have so little value these days. I have four of 'em - and all cosmetically mint - but just not worth the trouble and time.

Others may have different views - so keep an eye on this posting thread.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 268

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are other posts concerning copal shutters, Most need cleaning to unjam. If you don't want to invest money ,you can try removing lens glass and carefully keeping order that they came out. You could slosh clean with ether or tri- chlor outside of course. I used to do it with marginal value cameras. The least bit of grease can stop the shutter. Another weak point is the self timer. Which responds to cleaning. If this works fine if not cla all , which you say is uneconomical. The only problem with slosh cleaning is that plastic parts can dissolve, if you are careful it might work. I have done many Yahica mat shutters by slosh clean or ultra sonic clean. and most worked after. Just don't force anything to work when dirty. Don

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 87

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi.
Lighter fluid which leaves little or no residue behind is one choice if a shutter is gummed up. It of course removes all lubricant, even in places where it is desirable for it to exist. On the other hand, since most cameras such as yours are unlikely to have much future use in picture taking...... Use sparingly, and CAREFULLY employ cotten buds for cleaning. The state of them will tell you when you have finished the cleansing process

Chaffinch
Tinkerer
Username: Chaffinch

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 06:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for your responses. My tame camera repair man confirmed that a full CLA would be horrendously expensive, so I might try the slosh clean when I pluck up the courage. It's a pity, since the Auto-M is a landmark camera, in some respects.

Risehigh
Tinkerer
Username: Risehigh

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 01:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

have you checked the manual at the butkus site?
http://www.cameramanuals.org/fuji_pdf/fujica_35_auto-m.pdf
this is a quirky beast: shutter must be cocked
and silver tab to R of aperture ring depressed
toward the camera body to shift settings....
other quirks in the manual as well.
otoh, yours sounds jammed as you point out.

Valdormar
Tinkerer
Username: Valdormar

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, February 02, 2009 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any info on getting this camera stripped down to expose the shutter. Mine is jammed and I would love to get that fixed or at least try...

Elwrongo
Tinkerer
Username: Elwrongo

Post Number: 66

Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks RiseHigh! Your advice that the shutter must be cocked and silver tab depressed before you can move shutter speed and aperture rings was it. I thought mine were stuck fast but actually good as gold when doing as advised. Strange set up though. I don't think I've seen any other cameras that require this.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration