Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM-1 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus OM-1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kyleoak1013
Tinkerer
Username: Kyleoak1013

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an Olympus OM-1 that has been in my family for awhile that i just began using. I replaced the battery that's used to operate the meter in the view-finder. It's a brand new battery and I'm sure it's in the right position, but the meter won't move. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, is it fixable, or do i have to replace the entire body? any help is greatly appreciated.

Kyleoak1013
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just wanted to add to my first post - i was wondering if it could possibly be the aperture ring and not the meter itself? it seems like a possibility.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 786

Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This problem doesn't ring a bell to me... it sounds more like a linkage problem than a meter problem, but I'd have to see it happen before I could figure it out.

Kyleoak1013
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nothing really happens, it's just when i have the camera on the meter doesn't move and when i change the aperture ring it still doesn't move.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 787

Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see you've connected with John Hermanson on photo.net ... he's the expert, the rest of us are just tinkerers. Whatever he tells you, that's what you need to do.

Kyleoak1013
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John Hermanson? photo.net? That doesn't ring a bell... You might be confusing me with another person

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 789

Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're right, I'm sorry, I've gotten my posts mixed up in my head. If your meter is just stone dead, there are a couple of things that come right to mind:

first, if these cameras are stored with a battery in place, the power wire from the battery will gradually corrode and eventually break at or near the battery box terminal. If this happens, at least 1 - 2 inches of wire have to be cut out and a new piece patched in because solder won't stick to the corroded copper.

The second possibility applies to earlier examples of the OM1: in these cameras, the screw that holds the battery terminal in place is made of clear plastic (Maitani had a LOT of faith in plastic, not all of which was entirely justified). These screws break with age and leave you with a dead meter. A regular metal screw will short the terminal, so you need either a new plastic screw or else some clever way to keep things insulated.

Sorry about the confusing earlier answer .... my brain is succumbing to the combined effects of old age and high mileage, i'm afraid.....

Kyleoak1013
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the help. One more question though, how would i be able to check and repair a corroded wire by the battery box terminal?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 790

Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can check it by removing the baseplate, as I recall the battery box is held by a couple of screws and you can have a look. If it's bad, though, repair involves cutting back at least an inch up the wire, often farther. It may not be possible to reach that far without an uncomfortable amount of disassembly.

Bruceb
Tinkerer
Username: Bruceb

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This may sound rather simplistic, but, as an owner of 5 OM-1's, I've had the no response meter problem on one or the other several times, and what fixes it is a gentle smack to side of the body. It's as if the needle becomes stuck in place over time from not being used. Try it , it just may work : )

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 792

Posted on Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

good point, that does happen too ... the rubber needle stops get sticky with age.

Kyleoak1013
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i wish it was as simple as giving it a good whack, that didn't seem to work. I'm not the handiest person ever so I'm going to hold off on the taking it apart part. The meter isn't a necessary feature however so I'm just going to see how the pictures come out not using it. Thanks for all of your help.

Lgdavis
Tinkerer
Username: Lgdavis

Post Number: 19

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before you start taking things apart you might just try repeatedly exercising the ASA ring and the aperture ring and maybe the speed dial, too. I have found a couple of times that this will kind of clean up the contacts and let the meter work.

Kyleoak1013
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, will do.

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 39

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something that has saved my bacon more than once is to pick up a can of "contact cleaner" from Radio Shack. It's under a lot of pressure so you have to be careful with it. It's close to $10 a can. I've sprayed some under the off/on switch on different cameras, let it sit for a which and then turn the switch on and off a number of times. Contacts often get slightly corroded and this cleaner really works. I've actually brought cameras back from the dead using contact cleaner. Then again, with the age of the OM1s, the battery contact wire may need replacing. Good luck.

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 33

Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 01:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can I add a comment,have you checked the battery,I have had one in the past with the wrong polarity.It is worth checking against a meter before you go any further

R_a_feldman
Tinkerer
Username: R_a_feldman

Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had 3 OM-1s where the battery wire corroded. That would be where I would look. Replacing the wire is not easy, as it is glued in the channel that runs from the bottom to the top of the camera.

There are several good web sites with OM-1 repair info. http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/PDFs/CameraCraftsman.pdf is a general over-all article. http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/tutorials/OM-1CoverRemoval/index.html is more specific, but very useful.

While you have the top cover off, you should remove the foam next to the pentaprism, as it can deterioriate and destroy the silvering on the prism. I had bad foam in all 3 of my OM-1s. Look at http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/tutorials/FoamRemoval/index.html for instructions on removing the foam.

Lastly, look at the illustration about half-way through http://photographic.co.nz/cameraworks/cameras/om1_shutter/ for the location of the plastic screw mentioned earlier.

Bob

Bmurf
Tinkerer
Username: Bmurf

Posted on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to replace the batttery wire on my OM-1. Top and bottom covers are off. How do I get to the rest of the wire?

Prest
Tinkerer
Username: Prest

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 05:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just like Bruce. I've had a "silly needle" at times.
Mine doesn't look like dead, just that at times it takes a few seconds to get unstuck and move. Turning on and off the meter; changing apertures and shutter speeds help, and it returns to move like it should. Or as suggested, a little smack or shake could help; Never did this though.
My unit was overhauled a a year and a half ago. It works perfectly.

Edit: Whoops, old thread. I can't give advice on the wire. Never touched much the camera. Just removed the bottom plate and see the components in there.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1069

Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Prest: Your problem is probably just sticky needle bumpers. They're little rubber stops that the needle rests on when it reaches the end of its travel. To get to those, you have to remove the top cover and take out the prism, then clean the bumpers and the needle with cigarette lighter fluid. Be very careful in there, the needle is very delicate, and the eyepiece will give you a clear magnified view of every speck of dust you leave behind.

Prest
Tinkerer
Username: Prest

Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot for the advice Rick; I wasn't asking for help, doing a little contribution. But, your advice shown me again how helpful are the members of this forum.
I'll try to do a cleaning it if the meter needle gets really silly in a future. I prefer to not mess around with the camera being still fine. I should have to buy a few broken bodies to experiment on.
I don't think it's a problem, since it rarely did this. Only twice in a year of occasional use. The needle is not stopping on positions that the bumpers should be (max and min needle setting), just that it took a while to respond and it was inbetween those. It could be the battery too, maybe making bad contact.

I did the mechanical coupling test. ASA 1600, f8, Bulb, and the needle centers perfectly. Compared against the digi P&S on a plain overcast sky, both agree very nicely.
I suppose that fiddling with the aperture and shutter speeds rings don't do harm to the camera. I tend to do it when it's kept inactive (like now) and by the way, listen to the mechanical sounds of the camera. It's like shooting without releasing or cocking the shutter.

Tbright
Tinkerer
Username: Tbright

Posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really hope someone can help me with this. I unscrewed the unwind knob on the top of the camera to fix the washer underneath, and the part that the unwind knob screws into to attach itself to the camera fell down into the area where the film goes. Therefore I am unable to pull up on the unwind handle to open the back and get the part out! Is there another way to open the back of the camera to get it out??

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 19

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 04:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Make a j shaped hook from a piece of stout thin wire, poke it down through the hole and pull. It may take a couple of tries, but it'll work.

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 20

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 04:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

otherwise lift back the leatherette, unscrew the two screws holding the cover over the latching lever-don't lose the "washers" inside the slots, and just push the lever up. Or else take the top off completely, and release by hand.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1071

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 04:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I keep a small crochet hook in my camera repair kit for this sort of thing.

Dominic
Tinkerer
Username: Dominic

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks,
Hopefully a simple problem easily rectified (I just thought I'd tempt fate and get it out of the way).
OM-1 - early black version unbadged MD. The self timer lever is loose, as if fully wound on, yet it won't release. I've taken the lever off by removing the left-hand threaded screw, and removing the lever altogether. The little metal tab which the lever acts upon is indeed right down at the 7 o'clock position, and refuses to move. Any ideas as to where to go from here? Disassembly this deep scares me, prism replacement etc - no problem!
Thanks in advance!
Dom.

Zuikopath
Tinkerer
Username: Zuikopath

Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the shutter working when you wind on and press the shutter button...?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration