Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon S2 - lens stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon S2 - lens stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dirk Kautz (Dirbel21)
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel21

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 24, 2021 - 05:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

first, it's great that this forum is back.

In front of me is the lens mount from a Nikon S2 with the lens stuck solid due to corrosion. I have added some oil to losen it, but I'm only half convinced that this will work, and so I'm looking for other suggestions.

Thanks,

Dirk

Rick_oleson (Rick_oleson)
Legend
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1358

Posted on Monday, May 24, 2021 - 05:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi Dirk:. Is the lens mount removed from the camera? I've had good results soaking helicals in Xylol. I'm about to pull the lens mount off of an S2 myself soon, send me an email if you'd like to compare notes. Rick.oleson@gmail.com

Dirk Kautz (Dirbel21)
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, May 24, 2021 - 07:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Rick,

the helicoil is separated; It's the rotating part of the mount that is stuck to the lens.
The body of the lens and the lettering on the distance scale show signs of corrosion and so I suspect that this is the reason for the bind.

When I bought the camera, it was already disassembled. But I will have to reassemble it eventually...

Legend

Post Number: 1359

Posted on Monday, May 24, 2021 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh! I've never seen that happen. I'm not sure what would make those stick together, chrome plated brass on both parts. I would probably try to drip some WD-40 into the gap, or maybe Liquid Wrench to try to free that up.

Dirk Kautz (Dirbel21)
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, May 24, 2021 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My current theory is that the brass under the chrome started to corrode where the chrome surface was damaged.
I will let it soak with contact cleaner for a while, not too different from WD-40 is guess.
Let's what happens.

Dirk Kautz (Dirbel21)
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2021 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok, I got the parts separated. Indeed the chrome on the lens barrel and the inside of the lens mount was pitted, exposing the brass.

Legend

Post Number: 1360

Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2021 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good job! They probably won't be hard to clean up now.

Dirk Kautz (Dirbel21)
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2021 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mount got a little polishing, but that's it. The rest of the barrel won't improve by much, I'm afraid.
The glass is in surprisingly good shape though.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration