Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Minister II Repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica Minister II Repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin Reid (Martinreid)
Tinkerer
Username: Martinreid

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2021 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Members

Does anyone have any experience of 'repairing / recommissioning' an overstressed LVS connection to the Cross Coupling Ring on a Yashica Minister II (II 5091426). If I'm fortunate that there is then as a novice I will post further information about the problem.

Yours sincerely and in good faith
Martin

Chris+Sherlock (Chris_sherlock)
Master
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 90

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2021 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you broken the coupling pin off? Chris Sherlock

Martin Reid (Martinreid)
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2021 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Chris.. (and others watching)

Thanks for your reply.

I wouldn't know how to check what I've done. I don't know how to 'open it up' to have a look.

I think I turned the LVS ring too far; now it and the 'cross coupling ring' rotate further than they did. If I watch the shutter the aperture increases and reduces depending on the rings position but (and you can't tell exactly) it looks like the shutter speed is constant.

I'm not sure what to do next! I've emailed a couple of 'repair' shops one said they wouldn't be able to get the parts. Another one is looking for £85.00 to have a look. I can see the same camera on eBay and thought about getting one as a 'donor' and swapping the lens, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Any further information or help would be much appreciated.
Sincerely and in good faith
Martin

Master

Post Number: 91

Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2021 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the Yashica models like this one, there is a long pin, on the shutter speed settings cam plate I think, that couples to the control rings at the front of the shutter. Essentially, if someone tries to force the EV rings past the end of their travel, the pin, which is riveted, or perhaps spot-welded into the plate tears loose. The simplest answer is to replace this plate with one from an organ-donor. The alternative is to fix the pin back, soldering might work, turning up a replacement pin on a lathe and riveting that in place would be a safer bet. I'll check my parts this coming week in case I have shutter from this or a similar model that has not already been broken. Regards, Chris

Master

Post Number: 92

Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2021 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Martin,
How is your French? This webpage has useful instructions for opening up the front of that shutter.
http://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/rep/Yashica_Minister_D/index.html
Regards, Chris

John Farrell (John_farrell)
Tinkerer
Username: John_farrell

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2021 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I repaired a similar camera by epoxying a replacement pin (a small nail cut to length) into the plate.

Martin Reid (Martinreid)
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2021 - 03:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear All watching...

Further to the 'French' repair instructions breakdown link (above) kindly supplied by Chris. There is no way I have the tools or experience to manage such a repair.

Update.. I have purchased a 'donor' camera for parts; which has a fully functioning 'LVS Cross Coupling Ring'. As I do not have the skills required to strip, swap, repair and reassemble such things can anyone point me in the direction of someone in Lancashire who has the skills and might be willing to discuss this repair.

Yours sincerely and in good faith
Martin

Martin Reid (Martinreid)
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2021 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As per a Yashica Camera Forum Member's recommendation, I dropped off the Camera and two donors with Newton Ellis on Monday.. I guess now we just wait and see.

Thanks to all contributors for your help and support.

Sincerely
Martin

Martin Reid (Martinreid)
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2021 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the camera back now. It looks and feels great. I can't wait to give my son his grandfathers’ camera. Dave at Newton Ellis assures me it is now as good as new. Selenium photo cell readings are true, range finder is clear and accurate. LVS & Cross coupling ring operate precisely. Shutter sounds like I remember.

It wasn't cheap but then again he will now have his grandfathers’ camera, (priceless).

I will sign off this tread with a thank you to those that contributed especially the forum administrators for providing such a calm and knowledgeable space. If only the rest of that internet was as welcoming.

Always sincere
Martin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration