Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonflex R winding mechanism Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canonflex R winding mechanism « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

S G (Sg115)
Tinkerer
Username: Sg115

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2021 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,
I have a question regarding the Canonflex R (but it is also applicable for the R2000 and RP).

I acquired an R which had a blocked shutter and non-functioning mirror return. It was possible to move the advance lever crank, however the curtains did not move and stayed in the closed position. The film sprockets also remained in the same position.

I managed to open the bottom of the camera and fixed the mirror return, which was a relatively easy fix. The shutter took more time, but I figured out how it worked. In picture 1 the bottom of the camera is shown. When the film advance lever is used the no.1 gear rotates together with no.2, which in turn rotates no.3 which is used for the curtains and timing mechanism. Gear no.4 is used rotate the lever to cock the spring mechanism of the R lenses.

The problem is that with my specimen, when the film advance lever is actuated, gear no.1 rotates, but gear no.2 moves a bit, but stops moving when no.3 requires counterforce for the spring mechanism of the curtains. The lever then slips and it is possible to continue the advance and set the lever back into the original position.

I found out that by using a screw driver to rotate gear no.4 clockwise it is possible to cock the shutter correctly. After some cleaning of the gears the timing now seems correct and the camera seems to be working correctly except that the film advance lever does not work, with the lever slipping when there is more force needed. When a use a screw driver to rotate gear no3, advance goes further but stops again when more force is needed.

I disassembled the camera further and was able to remove gear no.1. This is depicted in picture 2 and 3. I saw that there was an epoxy between the shaft no.1 and the gear no.2. I found out that the reason that the gear slips is because the epoxy does not fix the shaft with the gear anymore. My guess is that a previous user used to much force and broke the bond. Perhaps by cocking the shutter twice. So my guess is in order to fix the camera I have to fix the bond between the shaft and the gear.

Does anyone know which epoxy to use to re-fix the shaft and the gear? I tried some thread locker, however it is difficult to get the thread locker in between to actually bond. Should I try soldering or something else?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration