Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikkormat with a dirty view Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikkormat with a dirty view « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Noel Parsons (Noel_parsons)
Tinkerer
Username: Noel_parsons

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2021 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At a swap meet recently I picked up a Nikkormat FT2. Shutter, meter, all work on it except the viewfinder is covered with dirt between the VF and the prism. The mirror side of the VF screen appears to be clean. Thinking I could open it up and clean the problem area, I brought it home, but now I find that I can't unscrew the advance lever spanner nut to get the top cover off. That is a normal right-hand nut, correct? The nut seems to be seized to the central advance shaft. I hesitate to use penetrating oil on a camera, but would it be safe to use a drop or two there? I've see acetone suggested to loosen screws, but that's to remove shellac, right? Also hydrogen peroxide will loosen rusted nuts, but there doesn't appear to be any rust involved here. Suggestions?

Rick_oleson (Rick_oleson)
Legend
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1361

Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2021 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some disassembly notes if you'd like to email me at rick.oleson@gmail.com

Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2021 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Rick. I have an email off to you.

Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, November 19, 2021 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At Rick's suggestion I heated the spanner nut with a soldering iron and then easily removed it with a better spanner than the first one I tried. Unfortunately, when I lifted the prism out I found that the problem is not dirt, but desilvering of the prism probably caused by fungus. Does anyone have a spare Nikkormat prism in good condition?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration