Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vario shutter incomplete open and clo... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Vario shutter incomplete open and close & no bulb « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jayd
Tinkerer
Username: Jayd

Post Number: 38

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have dis mantled cleaned and lubed a Vario shutter with 25,50,200, and B from a Foldex 30 and while I have fixed the always released shutter problem I have two new problems:
1. I have a left over spring that fell out when the back was removed from the shutter it's V shaped with a loop in the middle, one leg shorter with a hook, and the other straight.
2. No bulb
3. The Big problem ! shutter blades don't open and close completely regularly just sometimes, the shutter control plate does not return to it's full rest position.
I've checked all the archives and the ilustration of the Isolet guy but his ilustration is of the two gear shutter and he does not do a tear down just opens the front: maybe not a bad Ideal! What I need is a full ilustration of the Vario with only one gear speeds 25,50, and 200 + B or someone to tell me where that spring goes: could be the key to the whole problem? maybe I have the shutter blades in wrong? is there a stacking order or direction?
A cheif engineer I used to work for used to tell me only a watch maker or a fool tries to fix watches. I am foolish enough to try and fix almost anything and seem to learn best by doing it wrong first.
Thanks for any help
Jay

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 64

Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 01:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have a photo of it. I have a Vario shutter on an Agfa Isolette. If its the same I can take the front off and have a look.
Vario shutters started way back and even had a dial set model.

Jayd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 46

Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll post a pic or two soon as I find my little digital cam.
Thanks
Jay

Jayd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 47

Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One problem I have with digital is there is no poor man's way to get started as there was with film where you could get a cheap used bottom of the line body just about anything that worked and a great lens or two and do just as good of work as the guy with the top of the line outfit, today a cheap used body = cheap results if it even works when it's 2 to 5 years old, and these digital AF lenses are quite expensive.
A Brave new world it is!
Jay

Nickon51
Tinkerer

Post Number: 65

Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the way I bought my digicam. It had to be Nikon, because I've had one of their film SLR's and lenses etc for years. I can't afford or justify a DSLR. So go to the bottom of the range to the an E4600. It has flash, macro mode, and takes AA batteries. All the things I need to take photos of the internals of shutters and cameras.
Like this.

Vario Shutter on Agfa Isolette II

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 880

Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hate to say good things about digital, but some of the little P&S models really kick butt, especially for closeups. I have a Nikon Coolpix 3100, can't remember how old it is but I'm sure if you find one today it will be cheap. Its 3MP is plenty for emailing or web posting, and it focuses to 40mm - plus that little zero-mm focal length lens has gobs of depth of field. For this kind of use, I can't come close to it with my DSLR. My wife has a little Canon P&S that doesn't focus QUITE as close as my Coolpix, but it's superior in every other respect.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 17

Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, the Canon A470 focuses to 1/2 inch (12.5mm) and is being sold off for $79. at WalMart. Almost all point/shoot digitals go as close as 2 inches.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dismantled once a Velio shutter. The Velio is supposed to be quite similar to the Vario.

You can see the pictures here :
[http://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@N08/3012950512//]

Or maybe it looks like the spring i almost lost once in a Prontor-SVS. Look here :
[http://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@N08/3012950512//]

Nickon51
Tinkerer

Post Number: 66

Posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great resource Hans, thanks for posting. I have book marked that series for future reference.
Cheers
Greg

Jayd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 48

Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally found my Olympus FE 210, Just amazes me how a camera that sells for much less than I paid for a 90mm Macro lens many years ago can with it's built in zoom deliver such clear well exposed images! Now I have to figure out how to make my picture fit the requirement to post. I have reduced the quality, which reduces the file size so I hope that is what is meant I hope it still looks ok. I’m studing the Prontor thanks for the link I think that just may be what I’m looking for.Great stuff on your site Hans !

Thanks
Jay

Jayd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 49

Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here I go again: think I have it this time!
I think the spring is very simlar to the Prontor but I sure can't seem to get it in!!!!just does not quite want to go. In the pic I have maked the points I think it contacts with yellow the pivot screw has been removed: it goes under the leg that that is part of the top plate of the clock works, the spring jaut laying aganist a black portion. These little springs are quite the challenge at times, I wonder if the factories had lots of extras ?
Here's an issue perhaps someone has a remidy for : how to demagnitize your tools ? makes a sometimes difficult job even more difficult when a part sticks to your tool: to bad screws never stick in the right position!perhaps glue ?
Can you belive this Image came from a $79.00 camera new last years model, release price was only $159.00. I paid more than that for my 90mm Macro lens a long time ago. And I have way more than that in time and frustration in this Foldex
Thanks to all
Jay

Varioinerds and spring

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 26

Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We use chewing gum or wax to keep screws stuck to our screwdrivers.

Nickon51
Tinkerer

Post Number: 68

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 04:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jay,

Attached is a photo of the spring in the shutter in my last post. The straight end pushes against the shutter ring post, loops around the screw an hooks over the other post. The pressure is to push the shutter closed, CCW in the photo.

Good luck.

Glad to see you have finally worked out what digital cameras are for. I take lots of photos when taking a shutter apart. After removing anything, take a photo, take the screws out, sit the screws next to the hole and take a photo. If there is a washer under an assy, take a photo. It has bailed me out on numerous occasions.

Cheers

Vario Shutter spring

Jayd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 52

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is it alright, Now geting the bugger in there! I think I may need to make a sort of fork tool: a cheap flat tip screwdriver with a shallow slit in the middled that would hold these springs down and guide them in place. Haven't seen such a thing but at least in my mind it works. The hard part will be cutting a fairly percise slot. Maybe a dremmel fiberglass cut off wheel will do.
For demagnetizing I used to have a audio tape erasier that might do.
Jay

Jayd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 54

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got that Spring back in and all back together. all works except B, the stop is not catching so it just discharges on 1/25 unless you manually stop the cock lever at the right point. Unless someone has a easy quick fix I'm going to put the camera back together and see how well it works and how sharp the Sienhiel 90mm is before I try to figure out the B problem. I'm planing on using the back sighting method Ed Romney shows in his book to check the focus; well maybe not since I don't have Bulb.
Thanks for everyones help
Jay

Nickon51
Tinkerer

Post Number: 69

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jay, From what I can see in your photo, there's something not quite right with the B and T lever positions.

The audio tape eraser might be just the thing. The key is to slowly draw the tool away from the magnetic field. Don't turn off the eraser with the tool next to it. I used to have a tape head demagetiser, that would have been ok, also I had a home built pix tube degausser, that would have worked as well.
Setting levers

Jayd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 64

Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think your right but I don't know what so I have taken what I hope is a more informative picture. The bulb and flash do not work I see the flash contact post but nothing that contacts it.
The shutter speeds seems about right according to my best TV monitor check something I have trouble with on leafcutters.
The pressure plate is not what I think it should be with two rivet heads in the middle of the film plane holding the single leaf 6 to 7mm leaf spring to the pressure plate as shown, and only a two attachment points holding it to the film door.
Makes it rather wobbly and imprecise. If the drag on the film supply spool a spring steel tab 20mmx 20mm not show keeps enough tension on the film I guess the pressure plate need not do anything, but this could be a problem with 220 films?
Thanks for all the help
Jay

Vario shutterFoldex back

Jayd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 65

Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Studing the pictures I think I see the diffrence yours is interlocked with the release and mine is not.
Jay

Nickon51
Tinkerer

Post Number: 73

Posted on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 04:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thats correct, the lever and the one under it control the B latching. Shifting that top lever to the otherside of the lug on the release lever should fix that.

I don't know if the flash is related to the T & B problem. I'd have remove the retard mechanism to see what is supposed to happen. I'll let you know.

Its odd to see those rivets there. I would have thought that would be smaller and flush with the plate. As long as they feel smooth they should be ok.

Jayd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 66

Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Repositioning the levers interlocking fixed the B problem so the flash is the only remaining.
Yes I find the Rivet heads disturbing but have not thought of a way to make it better the film transport is over nickle plated roller bars:strange that the pressure back is so poor.
I had hope to take this 6 x 9 with me on vactionto the America west next week but I'm just not very confident in it yet so I may take only 35mm unless my test roll comes back in time and confirms all is ok. Sad that there is no local processing of 120 / 220 anymore.being a compact folder it would make a good travler and 6 x 9 transparencies and negs would be awesome if all worked well.
Thanks again

Mirj
Tinkerer
Username: Mirj

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haha, I've just done exactly the same thing on a Vario shutter from an Agfa Silette! I opened up the front and the back to reach the shutter blades that weren't opening at all. I was so happy that I managed to get the blades clean and put everything back. Then I noticed that that little spring had fallen out. Darn. But I'm actually surprised I didn't cause even more damage, I wasn't exactly 100% sure of what i was doing...

Anyway, thanks everyone for all those posts, it's exactly what I need now!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration