Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Super ricohflex repair help Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Super ricohflex repair help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tmas
Tinkerer
Username: Tmas

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys,
I started working on a super ricoflex that's been laying around and ran into some trouble. So I'm pretty sure my viewing lens and perhaps the taking lens are frozen, not sure tho. I wanted to verify it though because I'm not sure what's SUPPOSED to be moving and what part of the lens element shouldn't be.
I've got it down to the lens board, not sure of the next step. I can twist on&off the viewing lens but the focus doesn't change in the viewfinder, which I guess means something else isn't turning. I added images of the front and rear of the lens, and what exactly isn't moving. Any ideas what I need to do next?
Thanks alot.

lens element frontlens element rear

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 892

Posted on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the one with the lenses geared together, right? In that camera, the only part of the lenses that should move in focusing is the front element which is attached to the gear ring. Behind this first element, there are 2 more elements in each lens which do not move.

If the gear rings are turning, but the lenses are not focusing, maybe the rings are slipping on the lenses?

Another possibility is that the focus theads are stuck together so that when you turn the rings, the ENTIRE lens rotates as a unit instead of just the front element turning. If this happens, there will be almost no focusing effect. If the focus threads are stuck, the cause is dried lubricant in the threads.

Tmas
Tinkerer
Username: Tmas

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, so I believe the gear rings are slipping on the lenses. I'm not sure about the taking lens (bottom lens) because I'm not sure what should be rotating on that because after removing the lens only the shutter is left. But I take it the top viewing lens, the picture of the left, should be moving but is stuck. I tried getting some 90% alcohol in the threads but it hasn't worked, I just picked up some ronsonol lighter fluid and thought about soaking the top half to get the threads unstuck. Will this work? Or is there a better method?
Thanks.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 150

Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Rick has this on the right track and he has probably worked on more of them than I have- maybe two for me.

But I remember the green grease which had totally locked up the lens helicals.

I think that the lens rings-gears are held in place by tiny set screws. If you try to force the lens rings, you will just score out the set screws as I recall.

I'd loosen the set screws and try to get the lens rings off and try to get maybe a strap wrench or something on the actual lens barrel and break it loose. I'm sure that's what I did.

Once you get the lens barrels loose, you can clean the threads. Don't worry about registration. We can easily deal with that later if you can get the lens barrels loose and cleaned up.

Disclaimer- I'm working from memory which is never as good as Rick's written notes. I don't take any responsibility for you following my advice.

But I will try to help as it is a good example of a 120 rollfilm camera. And I kind of like them all as my late mother's first job out of high school before she got married and had me, was at the Ciro-Flex factory here in Delaware, Ohio.

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 79

Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 12:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I've got two of these in mid-restoration right now.

That piece that you labeled "not moving" should not be moving.

Both taking and viewing lenses have three elements, and as Rick says, only the front element should be moving.

While you have those front elements off, is a good time to take off the old grease and put on new grease.

Got a question for ya-- I can't get the taking lens of my Riccohflex to focus any closer than 6.5 feet. How close will will yours focus?

Leonistik
Tinkerer
Username: Leonistik

Post Number: 12

Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the same issue, but on the top picture you were successful on taking off that part, I am unable to move it, and those set screws are so well tightened I do not want to wear out the screws. If you figured it out please message me forum

Leonistik
Tinkerer
Username: Leonistik

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the same issue, but on the top picture you were successful on taking off that part, I am unable to move it, and those set screws are so well tightened I do not want to wear out the screws. If you figured it out please message me forum

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration