Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica M2 curtain replacement Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Leica M2 curtain replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 147

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 02, 2009 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hei!

after months or years or centuries of drooling and penny saving, I got a Leica M2! of course, the only way I could afford it would be if it was beat up and broken.

I wasn't lucky. mine is really beat up, fast speeds are too fast, and the opening curtain (visible when camera is wound) is cracked and leaky.

SO- how easy (laugh away...) is it to fix? do I need to pull the spools?

and to make those flexiclamps to take the top cover off- where do I get the sheet aluminum? what kind of store would sell that kind of thing?

cheers!

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 147

Posted on Friday, October 02, 2009 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your friendly neighborhood model and craft shop, the sort of place that sells model airplanes will also sell aluminium board. The 1mm thick stuff is best for making flexiclamps.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 148

Posted on Saturday, October 03, 2009 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok. the nearest is kinda far away though...

thanks!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 990

Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

where are you? i buy material stock from www.mcmaster.com but i don't know where they will ship to.

there is also, of course, www.micro-tools.com for finished flexiclamps, which may be more economical if you don't already have the metal for it.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 149

Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm in Canada. I was thinking of hitting a few hardware stores for this stuff, I'll try that first.

micro tools is expensive! I don't want to spend $50-100 on that stuff!

oh yeah, how do you guys make flexiclamps anyways? I was thinking of using a scroll saw and then a dremel... is there a real procedure?

and no one's replaced a curtain on a Leica M here? help?

thanks, Rick!

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 148

Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 02:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's fairly easy using a hand fret saw for cutting and a selection of files for trimming.
Polycarbonate sheet, 1/8 and 1/4" thickness, makes excellent flexiclamps. It is easy to cut and is practically unbreakable. Your local glazing supplier or sign maker many have some off-cuts they are willing to sell.
PS Microtools European branch are the biggest rip-off imaginable. They also screw the customer by overcharging on postage.

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 86

Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 05:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your local salvage yard should have aluminum scrap metal. I use 1/8" thick aluminum stock.
Richard.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 150

Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok, thanks guys. I'll look into it.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 675

Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatever material you use, the thickness wants to be 1/8" or there abouts. Simply measure the diameter of the item you want to loosen, then drill a hole the same diameter in a 1" x 6" strip of the chosen material - centre the hole a distance equal to its diameter from the end of the strip and on the strip's centre line. After drilling the hole, slit the strip down the centre line using a normal thickness hacksaw blade - do not use a junior hacksaw, the slit will not be wide enough to allow a good grip on the item. If you want to shape the clamp, ie round the hole end or shape the grip end, do it before you cut the slit.

I produced my clamps from 3mm and 4mm semi-hard brass, using adjustable reamers to cut the final hole - I have always found that a simple hacksaw cut allows enough grip to be produced. However if you produce the hole by direct drilling, you might find the clamp slips - due to the hole being a fraction too large - in this case make the slit a narrow 'V', opening up away from the hole. This will allow greater grip on the item to be removed.

If you want to replace the blinds properly there are no short cuts, unfortunately I cannot give you any practical advice. I purchased both my M2 and M3 brand new in 1966 and during a lifetime of hard, but careful professional use, they were always serviced by Leica. I treated myself last year and had them both fully refurbished by the Factory, for sentiments sake and not monetary gain I might add. So apart from the more usual cleaning/adjustment of the internal optics, I am unable to help you further.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 991

Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I have never changed a curtain in an M Leica. I've done it in a IIIC, and did not especially enjoy it... they didn't leave a lot of elbow room in there.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 151

Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for the advice! I didn't think of using a drill (strange, eh?)

I do have some polycarbonate sheet lying around. I think I'll give that a shot... will it be grippy enough?

well, my M2 is 30 years older than me... and apparently it had both curtains replaced recently, the faulty one was described as a "good used" one, which is not true- it's got so many wrinkles and holes!

do you have a guide for the IIIc, Rick?

oh, and is it a good idea to steal a curtain from a Spotmatic F? I was thinking of getting a nice new one from Leica (with metering spot!) but I dunno who to contact...

many thanks!

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 152

Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

and some pics, if anyone's interested.
https://kyp.hauslendale.com//forums/showthread.php?t=80255

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 677

Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re comments on above site - If the wind on mechanism is well worn; it is possible that the dings and dents in the shutter speed dial were caused by the tip of the wind lever being 'knocked/banged' into it, especially if the camera was carried back down in a bag.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 141

Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have a look here:
http://en.leica-camera.com/home/
It's the international English version of their website. You can change language/country settings at the bottom.
Maybe they can help.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 992

Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 03:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do have some notes (very brief) on the IIIC, and also general disassembly notes (that don't get into the curtains) on the M3. Email me at [email protected] if you'd like a copy.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 153

Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the wind lever hits the shutter speed dial and shoe if you let it go after the wind stroke. that's where all the dents come from...

email sent to Leica USA. wish me luck...

Alfarolf
Tinkerer
Username: Alfarolf

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 03:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
Mr.Rainer Muchel in Munich Germany replaces cur-
tains M2, etc. (original Leitz Material) for
199€.
Mr.Muchel is a former Leitz repair man in Germany.
Email adress:[email protected]
To my experience:very reliable.
Regards,Rolf in Germany.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 157

Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, I managed to get it done with a curtain pulled out of a Spotmatic F. I think it works, but it's not film tested yet...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration