Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 Shutter Button Lock Lever ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon AE-1 Shutter Button Lock Lever Stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mademoisella
Tinkerer
Username: Mademoisella

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey,
fairly new to the 35mm films and just got one recently, Canon AE-1.
I bought a new battery and films for it but I notice the Shutter Button Lock Lever is stuck to the self-timer and would not budge or move to change it.
I apologize if this is a fairly easy problem to fix but I've pretty much searched everywhere with no solution.
Thanks!

Johnlees45
Tinkerer
Username: Johnlees45

Post Number: 63

Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you press the little silver button in the centre of the dial while trying to turn it?

Mademoisella
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what do you mean? I'm fairly new to this, so I'm not sure. I don't see a silver button besides the one near the lenses.

Dmh
Tinkerer
Username: Dmh

Post Number: 19

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 03:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a working AE-1 sitting in front of me - there is no silver button and there should be no need to press anything in order to operate the shutter lock control.

I would say there is either a mechanical fault in the control, or it has simply seized up from disuse.

If it has seized up, that raises worrying questions about the state of the rest of the camera. However I suggest you get hold of some naptha (lighter fluid). As a liquid it has mild (and temporary) lubricating and solvent properties, but it evaporates without leaving any significant residue.

Put some on a cotton bud (the stick type) and apply it to the point of contact between the silver and black parts of the shutter lock control. Give it a chance to soak in and then gently work the control to see if you can free it up.

Whatever you do, don't use oil, WD40 or any other lubricants, they'll do more harm than good.

If it remains jammed, the problem may be a mechanical breakage in the switch.

Let us know how it goes.

Mademoisella
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much for the response, I will def. get right to it. I was wondering where can I purchase this Naptha? I have never heard of it.

Also, despite it just being on the self-timer, I've taken some photos and developed it and they were fine so maybe the naptha stuff might just fix it. I will def. report back asap. Thanks again!

Jayd
Tinkerer
Username: Jayd

Post Number: 87

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Naphtha is traditional lighter fluid, popular brand names are Ronsol and Zippo. I suggest that you download a user's manual for your camera from Canon or if not available from Canon go to http://www.butkus.org/chinon/ either place should be a free download, you can donate to Mike Butkus site which I do because I use it a lot.
Note that there are differences between the AE1 and AE1 program.
Good luck
Jay

Mademoisella
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got it to work! I didn't use the Naphtha as I was still in the process of knowing where to buy it so I kept moving the lock back and forth to see if it might budge and it still wouldn't so I kind of pressed down hard on the lock and it broke BUT it finally turned and worked! It still makes me wonder why it wouldn't budge without breaking but at least it works, I'm fine with that, now I can go take all the photos I want without it being on self-timer.

Thank you guys for helpful responses!

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 219

Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mademoisella, I see that you have managed to make the shutter release free to move. However, it would be better if it can be confirmed that is working as intended. So try to release the shutter a few times, and also try the self timer a few times.

My original suspicion was that perhaps somebody had remove the top and reseated it with the switch in the wrong position. The switch, apparently, moves a wire when it is rotated. One possibility could be that the shutter button was on a different position when reseated and on the wrong side of that wire. Anyhow, if your camera is working now, all is good. If not, that is one thing you may check.

NB: The wire I mention above is not the infamous tungsten wire. The wise below the shutter button is a thin brass wire that gets engaged with the shutter button.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration