Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet QL17 Meter Problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canonet QL17 Meter Problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

T_merc
Tinkerer
Username: T_merc

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Folks,

I have a "new" (not GIII) Canonet QL17 that I am trying to get working.

In manual mode, the camera seems to work fine, but I cannot get the meter needle to move / shutter to close when the aperture is set to A. I put in a new battery, when I press the battery check button, the needle remains in the top corner and does not come down to the blue zone. Here is what I have tried so far, any help or advice is much appreciated.

I opened the bottom cover and cleaned the battery contacts. I checked the continuity between the bottom "dot" and the metal outside the plastic battery holder and it is fine. I see one white and one yellow wire attached to what looks like two brushes that touch the bottom of the lens housing. I measured the resistance between where the yellow wire is soldered on to the brush and the metal base camera. When I shine a light on the CdS cell, the resistance changes (decreases), so I assume the cell itself is working. Not sure what I can try out next... Any help is appreciated.

Thank You,

T. Merc

Hai
Tinkerer
Username: Hai

Post Number: 34

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two repair manuals, so email me if you want them. BTW-I have the same problem, so if you manage to fix it, please let me know...

T_merc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too have two documents, both are for the GIII, one is called g-III_17-4.pdf and the other is a set of tif files showing exploded views of the camera. Do you have access to something different?

I was trying to not open the top of the camera, seems like that is the next step to try out unless someone else here has some insight.

Mojave_tom
Tinkerer
Username: Mojave_tom

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there any corrision in the battery box before you cleaned the contacts? I had a case one time where the corrision ate out the copper wire from the battery box to a terminal deep inside the camera. I've never had a problem with the "A" switch on the f-stop selector. You may have to check it. Further access to the inside of the camera can be had by removing top & bottom covers, peeling back the covering on the right front and remove two screws to take off the metal plate. The two contacts under the lens barrel and the slip rings are for adjusting the exposure (f-stop) when you use the Canonlite D flash.Focus close and the iris stops down, focus distance, it opens up.

T_merc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There was a little bit of green stuff (verdigris?) on one of the contacts, but it looked clean otherwise. The wires looked fine from the outside too, but I have heard that they might be corroded internally. Not sure how to check for that though. Next up for me is removing the top plate to see if something is wrong over there.

Hai
Tinkerer
Username: Hai

Post Number: 35

Posted on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I have the same files - SPT Journal and exploded views...

T_merc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I can't explain this. But today, after 5 months of not touching the camera I put in the battery again on a whim and the damn thing started working!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration