Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax Mirror Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pentax Mirror « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 35

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 03:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No question, just a report in case it's of use to anyone trawling the archives.
I was resurrecting a Pentax KM with numerous faults and thought I'd finished when I found that the focussing was adrift. Focussing on something six feet away, the standard lens distance scale read only five feet and the camera appeared to focus well beyond infinity. A close look revealed that someone had at some time replaced the mirror. they'd bent the retaining clips at the front and because the glass was loose on the carrier had then bedded it on epoxy adhesive, leaving the mirror a fraction higher than it should have been. (They had obviously realised that something wasn't right, as attempts had been made to adjust the three set screws under the focussing screen, but all they'd succeeded in doing was wrecking the slots.)
The mirror separated from the epoxy easily enough (poor/no keying)leaving the epoxy on the metal mirror carrier. That took some shifting but was done with care, patience and a vacuum cleaner to stop bits of epoxy getting into the works. Tweaking the clips put the tension back into them again and when the mirror slipped back in it was held snugly by the clips at the front and bar at the back of the carrier. Focussing was restored to its proper state. I don't know whether any adhesive would have originally been used, but just to be on the safe side I painted a strip of epoxy along the front edge of the mirror and carrier.

Steve
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dsides
Tinkerer
Username: Dsides

Post Number: 26

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration