Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

MInolta HI-Matic 9 - how to remove lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » MInolta HI-Matic 9 - how to remove lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Payaso
Tinkerer
Username: Payaso

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to remove the front part of the lens in order to clean the shutter blades and hopefully unstick them. How do I do this? Thanks.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 134

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Hi-M 9 is not easy to service or repair. There are various entries on this camera in the forum accessible via "Search". Hope this helps a bit.

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 59

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's not hard to get the lens elements out, if all you want to do is to try to unstick the blades. Just begin by removing the rings that you see around the lens. Some are thin metal rings, some are wider, but they are all threaded normally (right hand threads). The rear lens group also can be removed easily.

Harryrag
Tinkerer

Post Number: 135

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Payaso, what some say about the rear lens group may refer to other vintage cameras, with respect to the the older Hi-Matics this is definitely not right, resp. easy, as there is a metal cone in the way.

Payaso
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I can just grab the front of the lens and twist? I don't have to unscrew anything?

Scott
Tinkerer

Post Number: 60

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for reminding me, Harry. I grabbed my Hi-Matic 9, and then recalled that I had to remove the whole shutter in order to get the rear elements out. What a pain.

However, you can often get a shutter unstuck without removing the rear elements. Just go easy with the solvent.

Payoso, don't confuse the shutter with the lens. The lens glass elements are threaded into the shutter. You don't have to remove any screws. You do, however, have to remove some threaded rings first, before you can actually unscrew the lens elements. So start with that. But don't open the shutter.

Harryrag
Tinkerer

Post Number: 137

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 05:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

... this link will either help you or definitely tell you not to venture into the project: https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/16254.html

Payaso
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That does look a little daunting but i think i'll give it a shot. I'm still not sure how to get that first piece off and i don't want to force anything. That link says: "The thin chrome outer ring has to be removed." How do I do that? Sorry if this is a dumb question and thanks for the advice.

Scott
Tinkerer

Post Number: 61

Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just use whatever tools you have to unscrew it. If there are any left-handed threads in the camera, they won't be in area of the shutter or the lens, they will be in the winding and advance section.

That first ring probably holds in the black ring that says Rokkor. You need to go until you can see the brass casing of the lens elements. Then you unscrew them and take them out.

There is really nothing that can be broken. Just pay attention as you remove parts, and put them back together in the same way. It's really not as hard as it may seem.

Payaso
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for the tips. i've gotten this far (see photo). but there is one last piece of glass i can't seem to get out and i don't want to force it. i took out those three little screws but they seem to remove the outer ring and i don't think i want to mess with that.

Scott
Tinkerer

Post Number: 62

Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Again, I don't think there are any screws that need to be removed in order to get all of the front lens elements out. It looks to me like you have removed the largest elements from the lens brass casing, but that the casing is still in the shutter. I think you need to unscrew that whole casing. It's got two notches, right? That means it is supposed to be unscrewed. Or grip it with a rubber glove and twist it out. I think that last lens element you see is held in by a 2-notch threaded ring, from the other side.

Then you can clean at least one side of the blades, but be conservative with the solvent, so that it does not drip or run onto the rear lens, because it will be difficult to clean it properly through the shutter blades.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 111

Posted on Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 04:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have removed the individual elements from within the front lens group. This is not necessary. The whole front group unscrews as one single unit. Put a robust flat blade across the outer slots of the cell and unscrew the whole lens group.
Cheers
Greg

Payaso
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for all the advice. finally got in there and rubbed some ronsonol on the shutter and it works! hopefully i didn't mess things up by taking the whole lens apart and putting it back together.

Payaso
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

now for the light meter...

Mayfaces
Tinkerer
Username: Mayfaces

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 06:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, that worked for me too! Easiest repair to date :-)
Took all of 10 mins to unstick the shutter blades. Easy.
Thanks

Harryrag
Tinkerer

Post Number: 209

Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe someone cheered too soon. Others before you, including me as a novice tinkerer, thought it was easy. It was NOT, just wait and see ... if you just pour in some lighter fluid and wipe the blades from one side the blades will definitely get stuck again, and again ... so do you really think people rip a rather complex camera apart for cleaning purposes, if this is not necessary?

Howpow
Tinkerer
Username: Howpow

Post Number: 28

Posted on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Folks. I have successfully cleaned many shutters by cleaning only one side, but you have to perservere. By activating the shutter it will transfer the lighter fluid to the other side, and if you keep repeating the process you can clean the shutter quite well. I'm not saying here that it is as good as a full stripdown, but it does mean that the average person has a good chance of having a working camera, whereas not all of us are capable of total disassembly.Cameras I cleaned this way 5 or more years ago are still working properly.

Harryrag
Tinkerer

Post Number: 213

Posted on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 03:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tinkering may mean you can use inadequate ways and methods, unsuitable tools, wrong material. But it does NOT mean you have to do that, and the more experience one gathers, the more critical one gets, as you say, "you have to perservere", but it is crucial not to jump the track.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration