Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XD--loose spring in viewfinde... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XD--loose spring in viewfinder. Yikes! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rfl421
Tinkerer
Username: Rfl421

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got an old Minolta XD-11 and I was super excited about giving it a try. But, after putting a lens on and looking through the viewfinder, I noticed a loose spring moving around my field of vision. The shutter stopped closing after release once the spring became loose. I'm planning on taking it to a local repair shop, but I was also wondering whether anyone else has had this experience and might know what's wrong. Thanks!

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 177

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it's broken of course.

Anything rolling about in the viewfinder is a problem. This is a very complex camera mechanically.

Although I have owned/used/repaired many XD's I can't say that I remember a spring in the viewfinder.

Could be the aperture value spring or something else. There is a lot of stuff going on in the top of an XD-11. I'm not trying to be trite here. It's an awesome camera and well worth repairing.

But it's not rocket science to an experienced repair tech comfortable with late 70's camera technology. It's basically the same camera, other than lens mount, that Leica put out as the R4. That's another vote of confidence.

Rfl421
Tinkerer
Username: Rfl421

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mikel. That helps me understand the problem better, and I'm glad you think it's worth repairing. I've got a guy here in Norman, OK who's going to take a look at it. I'll keep my fingers crossed and post whatever I learn.

Richard530
Tinkerer
Username: Richard530

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Did you find out what the spring was or how to repair it? I picked up an XD11 outfit cheapo from a thrift shop. Lo' and behold, there is also a tiny spring attached on one end but loose on the other. Any information/help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Richard530
Tinkerer
Username: Richard530

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Duh, forgot to say the spring is located about the middle of the fresnel. Camera and outfit is in excellent condition otherwise.
Thanks again

Jeanmarie
Tinkerer
Username: Jeanmarie

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you still see in the viewfinder both aperture and speed scales when switching between the 2 modes ? If not, the spring is the one that mechanically pulls one scale into the viewfinder when you switch from the other mode.
JM

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration