Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Argus C44 multi-viewfinder repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Argus C44 multi-viewfinder repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

August
Tinkerer
Username: August

Post Number: 33

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one of those variable focal length viewfinders that came with the Argus C44 and its lenses, but it's all fogged up. Anyone worked on these? How do I get in there to clean the internal glass? Thanks in advance.

Dcluley
Tinkerer
Username: Dcluley

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 04:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a couple of different versions. Take a look at this page, and see if yours is one of them. http://arguscg.tripod.com/id59.html

August
Tinkerer

Post Number: 34

Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine is the second one on that page.

August
Tinkerer

Post Number: 35

Posted on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Figured it out myself. In case anyone wonders, you can pry the front window frame out by digging under it from the left or right sides. After it pops out, you have access to the front elements of each finder and can undo the two screws to remove and clean each one. The rear elements are tougher. You can do some cleaning on them once you have removed the front elements by sticking a swab in there, but that only allows access to the front side of them. Still, this permits enough access to clean most of the surfaces.

Dcluley
Tinkerer
Username: Dcluley

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent. I know I've got a couple of them around, but haven't been able to dig them up.

If you do ever need to take the top off, I'm pretty sure that you have to pry out the center caps from the side knobs, and there are screws underneath. However it sticks in my mind that there was something extra you had to do with the distance setting knob, that's why I was hoping to find mine.

The one problem with that style is that to really be accurate you have to get your eye right up to the window, this is not possible for those of us who wear glasses.

August
Tinkerer

Post Number: 36

Posted on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm happy to have gotten mine semi-functional again, aesthetically it looks good on the camera, but for practical purposes I think I'll be getting more use out of the Petri type wide-tele finder.

Dman
Tinkerer
Username: Dman

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Help. My Argus c44 shutter does not work. The camera shop says this is common. Local guy cant fix. Where can I get this fixed?
[email protected]

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration