Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya Press viewfinder cleaning Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Mamiya Press viewfinder cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gyurmi
Tinkerer
Username: Gyurmi

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My question relates to the latest (all black) version of the Mamiya Super 23. The viewfinder is dirty inside and I'd like to clean the covering glass surfaces and the viewfinder lens (while staying well clear of the mirrors). Took the top off, but still can't get to the glass - I don't want to disturb the rangefinder assembly, if I can avoid it. Looks like the front panel needs to be removed, but how? Is it separate or built together with the sides of the camera? (I guess I could remove the leather to find out, but I thought I ask first.) Does the metal cover over the glass plate which covers the viewfinder / rangefinder windows needs to be pried off? Some help from anyone who's been down this road would be appreciated.

Gyurmi
Tinkerer
Username: Gyurmi

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, no responses so far, so I took the plunge and disassembled part of the camera and cleaned the viewfinder. It is much better now. Details - with pictures - can be found here: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~gpauka/foto/Restoration/index.html
(You can skip the introductory text and go to the bottom where the links are.)

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 175

Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gyurmi,
You'll find this the case for some camera problems that aren't very common. I asked about cleaning a shutter on a Primo Jr. and never got an answer. Since I have dozens of other cameras, I have never got around to it. Mostly, you just have to dive in and succeed or fail. Now that you've given the information, you've helped anyone with the same problem. Congratulations.

Chascanada
Tinkerer
Username: Chascanada

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks very much, this was exactly what I was looking for. Picked up a super 23 with a dirty view finder and couldn't figure out to get in to clean it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration