Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Disassembling 2x teleconvertor for fd... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Disassembling 2x teleconvertor for fd lenses « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I have this 2x CPC teleconvertor for Canon fd lenses.

The lever that couples with the f-stop lever of the camera has grown some play in it, most likely due to a loose screw or rivet that secures that telenconvertor's lever to its body. The lever is shown in the attached image.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to go about disassembling this teleconvertor to reach that screw/rivet?

I will try to post more photos the teleconvertor if that helps.

Thanks.

CPC 2x teleconvertor for fd lenses

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was supposed to be "rivet" and not "revit".

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 727

Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do not remove the optics - you will have to re-collimate if you do. Remove the stop screw from the breech ring and unscrew it, you may then be able to remove the rear shroud by unscrewing 3/4 radially located screws. I say may be because not all breech convertors are the same, on some models you have to go in from the front. In this instance remove the front mount, then remove the screws that hold the front baffle plate - the heads of these 2/3 screws face you as you look into the unit. You may then see some screw heads deep in the unit and these hold the rear mount, if removed the rear mechanism will come away.

As I mentioned the above is somewhat vague - I have no knowledge of your particular unit. However as long as you do not remove the optics, removing all visible screws will not produce any nasty surprises and will eventually expose the lever pivot.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What do you mean by removing the optics?

The teleconverter has a central cylinder which has the optics in it. I can rotate that cylinder. I realized that it should probably be at a particular position, so I rotated it back to the original place. Does this rotating also result in having to re-collemate the piece?

I will give the screws a shot. I did try to unscrew the lone screw on the breech lock ring, but that appeared to loosen nothing.

I was able to remove the front flange but could not see what to do further.

Having read your post though, I will take another look. Others, any hints?

Thanks.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, I took out the lone screw on the camera body coupling ring (shown in the photo in my first post in this thread), but that ring does not unscrew from the teleconverter body.

Also, removing the front metal ring of the teleconverter does not give me access to any screws.

The only screws I can make out are just below the camera body coupling ring at the back of the teleconverter. Only one is reachable without removing the ring (shown in the photo in the first post), the other three are partially under the ring.

The problem now appears to be just removing that ring at the back before I can do anything else.

Any further ideas?

Thanks.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 728

Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you cannot turn the breech ring when the convertor is off the camera, then there is a detent that holds the ring in the remove position until the item is seated on the body mount. Look for a pin/plunger in the rear face of the unit that will be pushed by the camera mount as you attach the convertor. Release the detent and the breech ring will unscrew.

It is a very long time since I worked on a breech mount and the only lens I still have has been heavily modified on the mount - so unable to use as example. The pin/plunger should be situated on the rear mount face below the cutouts in the silver ring. Sorry that I cannot be more specific.

On the optical front - so long as you repositioned the cell to its original position you should have no problems.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glen, yes, you were exactly right. Thanks for the hint. There is a push pin that locks the rear coupling ring to the body of the teleconverter (tc). I have shown that locking pin the attached image.

Basically, I just remove the screw on the outside of the ring (shown in top left of the photo), then pushed the locking pin a bit to move the ring a little so that all three screws were accessible. Removing them brought the inner whole part (optics, levers, etc.) out of the black housing and I could also then unscrew the rear coupling ring (had to remove that tiny screw beside the locking pin as well).

Next, I noticed that the lever in question is still not accessible and to reach it I need to remove the black circular flange or plate. But this has a steel push pin in it which is preventing me from taking that circular flange out. The flange is screws by a thin ring, which was easy to unscrew.

I have shown the silver pin, and a blown up image of that pin, in the photo. That pin has a screw head on both sides and has a pin running through it. How do I take that push pin out?

That sliver push pin is attached to the black flange.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 729

Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If both ends have driver slots then one end must come off, it will be a blind nut. Try a pair of screwdrivers and rotate very carefully.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, thanks a ton for your hints. Once that steel pin was taken out (one of the heads was unscrewed), the rest of the assembly was easy to disassemble to reach that lever's screws.

Once those screws were tightened and the converter reassembled, it worked like new! :-)

Warm regards.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 730

Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad it all worked out.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration