Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica FT-1 mirror and shutter stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Konica FT-1 mirror and shutter stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Virusesrus
Tinkerer
Username: Virusesrus

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Konica FT-1 with the mirror and shutter stuck in the open position. I put batteries in the camera and pushed the shutter button. Film was not in the camera. Batteries check out with volt meter,and contacts are clean. Any suggestions for an easy fix. I don't use the camera and want to give it to a grandchild for a class.

Studio1476
Tinkerer
Username: Studio1476

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've repaired a couple of FT-1's, and they both shared a common fault: the 3 flexible printed circuit (fpc) connectors under the top cover were corroded with gooey green gunk to a degree sufficient to interfere with the electronics. The connectors are clamped in place with screws. Two of the connectors are easily seen, but the third is somewhat hidden beneath one of the others. Disassembly, cleaning and reassembly with replacement clamp cushion material (I used a piece of doubled electrical tape) might revive your FT-1, too.

Elwrongo
Tinkerer
Username: Elwrongo

Post Number: 54

Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 06:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I think mine has the same problem. I can get the self timer light to work but no shutter action or internal lights. Some traces of green stuff in the battery compartment which I cleaned. Studio1476 I don't suppose you have any pics of the top plate removal procedure do you? I've not done one of these and don't want to break this one. Thanks

Studio1476
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took some photos and added disassembly instructions that should help you in getting the top cover off, and in locating the fpc connectors that most likely need to be cleaned to reawaken the electronics in your FT-1. They're at this site (Be sure to use the whole URL below; only the first part appears to be activated in the Preview):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15235665@N04/sets/72157623203627474/with/4271589237/

Good luck!

Jaslist
Tinkerer
Username: Jaslist

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Steve,

Thank you so much for such a detailed instruction set. I used this 15 step set to generate a Konika FT-1 Repair Manual for my personal use. Everything that I have read concerning this premier vintage 35mm SLR camera has convinced me that I could not have selected a better unit from in that era. I was trained on 10x10, 4x5, 2˝ x 2˝, and 35mm cameras during my ~1977-1979 Scientific Illustrations course (black & white photo, A-Z) at the University of Arizona under Donald Sayner, and Color Photo Journalism under Jackie Sharky (National Geographic magazine).

I was lead to your page initially by Martin Taylor from his comments of February 5, 2008,
“I have never cracked this one open so I can't help you, however, someone at the classic camera repair forum will have and will be able to help you so drop by and ask your question there - https://kyp.hauslendale.com//cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi - good luck repairing it.” Regards - Martin
At http://www.theothermartintaylor.com/moveabletype/archives/cameras/000221.html

Then to the blog “Konica FT-1 mirror and shutter stuck” at https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/17327.html?1263411243 and finally to your Wednesday, January 13, 2010 comments suggesting these photos and added disassembly instructions to help George.

Do you have any similar sets for the SLR mechanics below the electronics? I understand the issues that might arise from parts flying and damage from improper disassembly. I have a mirror that will no longer move up and out of the way of the image-to-film. I’d be happy to share this manual with anyone who might be interested in their personal use of it.
James

Jaslist
Tinkerer
Username: Jaslist

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter works fine and the mirror moves freely, but the mirror will not function with the shutter.

Studio1476
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to hear the earlier FT-1 photos and notes were helpful. Sorry to say, though, that I don't have any additional disassembly photos or specific repair ideas for the FT-1 mirror box mechanics. If the mirror moves freely, as you indicate, and everything else in the mirror box (aperture ring, etc.) looks like it's OK, I'd actually try re-doing the fpc cleaning sequence before giving up on the unit. There are quite a few contacts in those connectors, and they all have to make contact for everything to work properly, so there could still be a problem with something in that area. More good luck!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration