Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica M2 and M4 servicing Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Leica M2 and M4 servicing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nomad
Tinkerer
Username: Nomad

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd appreciate comments from folks that have serviced Leica M2s and the later M4s (M4-2 and M4-P). The internals of the later M4s were changed to use more high tolerance parts rather than adjustable parts used in the earlier cameras.

As things wear (do they wear?), do the later M4s needs replacement parts rather than adjustments to compensate? If so, are parts readily available, and are they pricey, such that servicing a later M4 is relatively expensive?

I'm asking as a potential purchaser, and I'm trying to scope out the implications of servicing (I assume any camera I buy will need a CLA).

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 731

Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By manufacturing parts to better tolerances in the M4 and subsequent series models, Leica was able to dispense with the very expensive 'hand fitted' assembly of the previous series. I have three M2 and two M4-P - all owned from new and all having had excessive professional use. These cameras have been serviced every 18 months without fail, the only replacement parts ever fitted have been the shutter blinds of the M2s.

As to service costs - I cannot really comment because as 'tools of my trade' they need to function all the time, even in this digital age. About three years ago I hand all the cameras refurbished by Leica - very expensive, but to me well worth it. There are plenty of very good independent M Series service people/shops out there, you just have to look around.

Alfarolf
Tinkerer
Username: Alfarolf

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, January 08, 2010 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good morning everybody,
Leica lense, 4-90 Elmar.Does somebody know,how to
disassemble the lense? Object is to service the
aperture assy.
regards,
rolf from germany.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration