Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Anyone knowledgable about GE PR-3 lig... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Anyone knowledgable about GE PR-3 light meters? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 30

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have a GE PR-3, an old selenium meter that I got for practically $nothing on eBay a few years ago, that works pretty well. But I just had it apart because it seemed to be sticking for some reason: turned out that the 2 screws that hold the armature inside were loose, allowing the meter coil to rub against the magnet on one side.

I'm just wondering about adjusting this meter. There's only one adjustment apparent, the large screw on the back. All this does is move a stop that the meter movement comes up against at the end of its travel, so I don't really get how this can be adjusted, if it can be at all.

The last time I checked (against my Canon A-1's light meter), this meter was astonishingly accurate. It's my favorite meter these days. I've got a Weston Master [something], which is a nice meter, but the GE is even easier to use, mainly because it allows you to "capture" the reading by releasing the button, so you don't have to squint at the meter to read it. (Good for us with less-than-perfect vision.)

As far as I know, this meter is practically the same thing as the PR-2. For those looking for a simple, rugged, accurate old-time meter, I highly recommend them. Still plentiful and cheap on eBay.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 207

Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only selenium meter I've ever seen that had an adjustment beyond the universal meter zero set was the Gossen Pilot 2.

It's too bad because as some meters age the voltage drops a bit, and it would be nice to be able to calibrate them.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 189

Posted on Friday, January 01, 2010 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GE selenium meters seem to have an uncanny long life.

I have had some DW-68's and all are amazingly accurate. Much better in reliability than contemporary Gossen and Weston meters I have.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration