Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

CANON CANONET Focus problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » CANON CANONET Focus problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rayw
Tinkerer
Username: Rayw

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 01, 2010 - 03:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the original canonet (Winder at bottom) that I have just bought off ebay for an absolute song.
After releasing the gummed up shutter and aperture blades, I now appear to have a problem with the rangefinder.
When i turn the focus ring, nothing is happening in the viewfinder.
the images do not come together.
Is there somebody who could tell me how to fix the linkage between focus ring and viewfinder display.
I don't fancy zone focussing!

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 230

Posted on Friday, January 01, 2010 - 05:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I doubt it is the linkage. Most likely the mechanism is gummed up and needs a cleaning. That is the usual cause.

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 94

Posted on Friday, January 01, 2010 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you lift the top cap off it should not be too difficult to unscrew the rangefinder. At the bottom side of the rangefinder you will find mechanics which you should clean and lube carefully. Linkage elements from the lens to the finder should be visible too. When wou remount the rangefinder pay attention that the link elements engage in the right way.

If this is not specific enough and you run into problems and you have more questions I could open one Canonet to supply more details.

Rayw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys
I have a second spare/repair canonet coming shortly, so depending on the condition of either, i will attempt to remove the rangefinder on one of them as practice

Rayw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a problem.
In removing the rangefinder, I have dilodged a part and am unsure where it came from.
Can anybody help please?
See attached JPEGRANGEFINDER PART

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration