Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak retinette ia pronto. any infor... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Kodak retinette ia pronto. any information please « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter_johnson
Tinkerer
Username: Peter_johnson

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello,i have a retinette ia in very nice cosmetic condition.
it has a schneider-kreuznach reomear f:3.5/50mm lens with pronto on the face.
it appears that the shutter does not fire.
is it worth while me trying to repair it and would anyone out there have any advice on it please?
i must admit,it belonged to a deceased uncle and i was given it to tinker with as that is what i like.... fixing most things.
cameras are a new hobby/interest of mine.thank you

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 268

Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the Pronto was a simpler version (less speeds) of the Prontor so if you can find information on one of those, you should be away. Just Google Prontor shutter repair, and you'll have plenty!

The Reomar is "only" a triplet, but it's not a bad lens - I'd suggest that it's good enough to have a go at, but not so special that it's a disaster if it can't be fixed - unless it has sentimental value? A Prontor was the first shutter I successfully fixed - so they can be done by the tyro, depending of course on what is wrong in the first place!

Good luck.

Peter_johnson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 09:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

many thanks adrian, i will have a try at this.
i have obtained some information on the different versions and feel confident enough to explore the workings of the lens and shutter mechanism.
more out of the fun of a challenge of learning something new to me.
this is a great site, i have been reading for hours the q&a's on various cameras and accessories.
sentimental value is purely that to me, if i fix it then great,i will most likely store it away as part of a collection,if it breaks,then i will have learnt the hard way.
nothing ventured,nothing gained....lol
thank you again,
peter

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 224

Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think someone on EBay sells a special wrench for removing the shutter/lens package from small folding cameras.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 225

Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 06:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just relized the 1a is not a folder.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 269

Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a good point - I think I made a lash-up tool for mine with two screwdrivers clamped between two bits of wood, but the rear element on mine really was tight, and I ended up working with it still attached. Luckily, a flood-clean was all mine needed.

There are certainly various lens spanners available on ebay - price generally reflecting quality, I think. Micro-Tools are probably the best quality, but their postage charges are obscene. Not just bad, obscene! The cheaper ones are generally made of softer metal, so more likely to bend, but are more able to be filed into different shapes if you need to bodge them.

Peter_johnson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

chris,that is amazing! thank you very much for your message and guide!
i am very happy and impressed with the standards of your guide,
peter

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 172

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 01:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter,
you might also want to have a look at Dan Mitchell's site. He has articles on various shutters together a lot of pictures. Especially the Vero, Klio and Prontor SVS might be interesting for you. Even if they are not eaxactly the same as the Pronto they give an idea on what to expect when opening the shutter.
http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php

Peter_johnson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you martin. i really appreciate everyones thoughtfulness on helping me out here.
a friend made on this site is in the process of creating a very detailed and photographed step by step guide on this and was kind enough to allow me to view it.
it is a brilliant manual, almost complete and i hope when finished he will post it on here.
i wouldn't want to post it without his permission as it is his work alone.
all i can say is in a week or so,you should be able to judge for yourself.
this will be an asset to anyone thinking of getting into repair of these lenses etc.
thank you everyone and also chris sherlock,fantastic work!

Ron_g
Tinkerer
Username: Ron_g

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wrote to (emailed)Micro-Tools wanting to discuss their shipping charges and they did not even reply to me.I did buy their quality spanner and all of the bits but I will be looking around for anything else that I might need.Ron G

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 55

Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Pronto is less complex than Prontors and Compurs. But even though that reduces the number of parts to misplace, it also is a bit less modular and less easy to comprehend.

Warning: When opening a Pronto, do so inside a plastics bag or some other improvised glove box - it has a few spring loaded things only held in place by the cover plate which tend to jump out at you.

Sevo

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 15

Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day All,

I've just finished with writing my shutter CLA guide for the Retinette 1A. You can find the pdf here....

http://www.4shared.com/file/231198104/d7bcb3d4/Retinette_1A_Shutter_Repair.html

Please let me know if I have missed any important information, or failed to add enough explanation.

Regards, Chris Sherlock

Peter_johnson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

fair play to you chris, it is a remarkable and easy to follow guide.
thank you very much and for allowing others to also benefit from your work.
top man!
peter

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 195

Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris: very nice guide there. Just finished looking at it. I used to write manuals for a living, so I know a good one when I see it.

This shutter is very similar to the Prontor SVS, by the way (just recently rebuilt the one in my Super Paxette, and I recognized several of the parts in your pictures).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration