Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb: is a part missing in this ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon FTb: is a part missing in this rewind knob axle? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 33

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

This is related to a recent thread regarding not being able to open the back door of a Canon FTb.

After examining the film rewind knob of this camera and comparing it with an AE-1 Program that I have, I think the problem seems to be a missing collar or a thick washer in the FTb's rewind knob.

The difference in the two camera's rewind axle is shown in the photo attached here. The top two photos show the two camera's rewind knobs from inside the film compartment. The bottom sub-photo shows the parts of the rewind knob when extracted from the FTb (the top knob, with the fold out arm, is not shown).

If somebody has an FTb lying around, could you confirm my suspicions?

Thanks.

Comparison of rewind knob axles of Canon FTb and AE-1 Program cameras.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 53

Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an FTbn, and there is no collar on mine.

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 34

Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting. I wonder what is missing in my camera that is preventing the movement of the spring lock when the rewind knob is pulled.

For illustration, here is a macro photo of the rewind knob just below the top cover.

Canon FTb: rewind knob and spring lock connection.

The connection between the rewind knob and the thin rod is shown. That connecting washer has its tab inserted in the cylinder housing of the rewind knob and is supposed to be pulled up along with the rewind knob to pull the thin rod with it. The rod in turn moves the spring lock to unlock the back door.

So, if there is not cylinder or collar on the knob on the film cartridge side, I wonder what is preventing the connecting washer from being pulled when the knob is pulled from the top. The connecting washer is not even touching the knob's axle.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration