Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contaflex question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Contaflex question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 53

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 06:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a way to adjust the "door" on the Contaflex that closes before the mirror drops down? I have one where the door does not close fully and will leak light onto the film.
I have the camera dismantled, but I can't see an obvious adjustment (I know on the Bessamatic there is an adjustment screw).

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 13

Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I downloaded the Contaflex I-IV Repair manual from Monopix awhile back. I see he now has them on Scribd. On page 12 of the manual there is a comment on adjusting the grub screw to apply sufficient pressure to the light flap.

The PDF I have is 18Mb or else I could email. If you can't find one, I can probably break it into 4 sections and send it. I have not had to make that adjustment, so I can't speak from experience, but maybe some others will weigh in that do have a lot of Contaflex knowledge.

Good luck

By the way, here is his link
http://www.scribd.com/equiphoto

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 84

Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Depends on which model you have I guess because I can't see any equivalent screw on the Super I have in bits. In fact, I can't see any adjustment for it.

Not sure it's going to help but which model is it you have?

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 54

Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the II.
The manual (thanks Denny) does mention a "grub screw" and I think I know which one it is referring to. I will try it out and see what happens.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 55

Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had a look at my camera, and the grub screw (set screw) in question is located on the back of the camera (with the top plate removed) just to the right of the viewfinder. It puts pressure on a gear and set of cams that contact the linkage for the mirror and light flap.
Unfortunately, my grub screw had a broken slot, so was difficult to adjust.I was able to remove it, but was not able to put much pressure on it to tighten. Instead, I loosened the nut just above the screw (on the end of the cam shaft) and was able to push the cams over by inserting a small screwdriver through the grub screw hole. This closed the light flap tightly and I re-tightened the nut. I then put the grub screw back in place and tightened it as much as possible.
If anyone else needs to make this adjustment in the future, I would suggest you loosen the top nut slightly before attempting to tighten the grub screw. I don't think this detail is mentioned in the repair manual.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration