Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb shutter curtain cleaning an... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon FTb shutter curtain cleaning and lubrication « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 44

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I am in the process of resurrecting a Canon FTb that I recently acquired. I have cleaned the focusing screen, fixed the following needle, adjusted the meter to work with hearing aid (#675) batteries, replaced light seals and mirror damper, and fixed a jammed film back door.

Next up, I noticed that the shutter speeds have a lot of variance and error and there is capping and shutter bounce. In all probability, shutter curtains needs cleaning and lubrication.

I know I can have the camera CLA'ed, but then I wouldn't posting this request here, now would I? ;)

I wanted to know if somebody can give me brief hints on how to reach the shutter and curtain bearing for cleaning and lubrication. What parts or assemblies do I need to disassemble and which ones need not be touched. If people here can give some details on this, it would be much appreciated. I plan to take pictures along the way so that I can do a little illustrated write-up afterwords for posterity.

Thanks.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 45

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 08, 2010 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a symptom of the problem with shutter curtains which prompted me to believe that they, or their shafts, need lubrication or even cleaning.

Canon FTb shutter cutrain problem. Speed 1/1000.

Let me take a shot at trying to explain what is going on. The dark band in the middle shows the second curtain catching up with the first at that point. They both travel to the end of the frame, but the second curtain then bounces back, leading to the the brighter left edge of the print (the rewind side of the negative).

For lubrication, consider the photo below with botton of the FTb shown. The rectangular areas demarcated with green rectangles are shown blown up in the bottom of the picture.

Canon FTb bottom: are the pink arrows indicating curtain shafts?

Are the shafts indicated by pink arrows the curtain shafts? Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Also, is one of the shafts below that plastic gear at the location circled in pink in the right hand side blown up part?

Finally, is that bronze gear indicated by the cyan arrow the master shaft?

Hopefully, the illustration will confirm my understanding of the curtain shafts locations. I do know that the gears that the pink arrows in the left hand side blown up part are used to tweak tensions of the shutter curtains. But before trying to see if tensions need a tweak, I want to be sure the curtains shafts are well lubricated.

Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration