Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax RTS II Shutter Issues Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Contax RTS II Shutter Issues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Guy
Tinkerer
Username: Guy

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An ebay disappointment. Bought a RTS11 Quartz in very good condition-cosmetically.
Put in a new battery, cleaned the contacts & replaced the mirror foam. Meter lights up and seems to work fine. Shutter tripped for about 14 clicks on both the Auto & Manual setting. Then shutter stopped working. The mechanical shutter works easily. I tried different Yashica lenses (no budget for Contax lens) with no difference. Opening the back & using the mechanical shutter method shows curtains open and seems OK.
The strange thing that I cannot find any information on is that a red light comes on which is situated a the left hand bottom of film railing when I keep the back open and try to trip the shutter. I suspect that my $180.00 investment into what I thought was a good deal would be doubled & more if I send it for professional repair if someone still repairs this type of camera. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you-Guy

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 190

Posted on Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The red light is the trigger for the optional data back to imprint the selected data on the film.

I hope your problem is just an open circuit somewhere in the auto release circuit. I'd start by moving the auto selector 20 or 30 times and seeing if that makes a difference. If I remember correctly, it is a wiper switch and sometimes they get dirty or corrode when not used. It's worth a try.

Guy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Guy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks again Mikel. Followed your advise and it worked. Next day-today-the shutter wouldn't trip. After trying a few things, I found that the following must be done for the shutter to trip in either Auto or Manual after the camera is off for a few hours. 1st I must flip the mirror lock up and use the mechanical shutter once, flip the mirror lock off (down position)and then everything is back to normal. Auto & Manual settings work. Even if this is unusual it works. Go figure? Thanks again for making me a Happy Camper!!Hope this continues to work, and now I can save up for some Contax lenses.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 85

Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Worth checking the LED when the shutter isn't working. If the LED flashes, the electronics are getting the release signal and it's probably related to the release solenoid or driver circuit or some other mechanical problem. If the LED doesn't flash, it's an electronic problem which could just be dirty contacts.

Guy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just checked. When the shutter isn't working, the LED for aperture is solid and the Shutter speed display is flashing at what I've set it at. I doesn't show the same when shutter is working, were it has a solid speed and a other flashing speed showing ,I guess, the actual speed I should set it at to get proper exposure based on the aperture value that I've set. Does that make sense? Should one try and change the release solenoid or drive circuit? Can it be done easily, or left to a expert repair shop? Any companies in the USA that does this, without charging to much? Thank you Monopix.Appreciate your input.

Mikel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 191

Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try it with the self timer and the cable release if you have one. What do you get?

The shutter release is just a stack of leaf switches and could also be dirty.

Guy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't have a cable release for this camera yet. I'm looking for one on ebay. I'll try the self timer and see what happens. I'm also looking at 2 other RSTII on ebay for potential parts for this one, that are presently listed and to close in a day or two. Thanks again Mikel- I never thought I'd get such expert responses like this!

Monopix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 86

Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 02:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I was referring to the databack LED that you previously referred to. The LED should flash when the shutter release is pressed so is an indication that that part of things is working.

Guy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monopix I'm at fault. I don't have a databack LED . All my reference is what I see happening through the viewfinder. Didn't know a databack was an option for this camera. I'm tracking an ebay cable release, and once acquired will try what Mikel suggest. What do you think of the AX model. I see one on ebay that looks interesting?

Mikel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 192

Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Monopix was referring to the led light on the camera body that you first mentioned.

The AX is a large autofocus camera which is perhaps the slowest of all autofocus cameras I've seen- slower than say, a first generation Nikon.

My own personal favorite is the 139.

Guy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the input on the AX. That will make me certainly stay away from the AX, and maybe invest in a Contax lens, and see the difference compared to the Yashica ones that I have.
The LED light coming out of the body is a small red light at the bottom right hand below the "railing guides" when the back is open. Hope I'm saying correctly on the nomenclature (learning curve). Also I guess the shutter release cable you refer to is what they call Cable Switch S? I read where one can use a standard commercially available cable release of the mechanical type(which I have) for the mechanical Bulb Release socket only. I'm going to try that as well as your suggestions. Can't say enough thank you's to you & Monopix for your support.

Mikel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 193

Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the cable switch S will work. The cable release on the Contax (and their Yashica cousins) is electronic, not manual, so a generic manual release will not work, unless you have a Contax SLR like I have never seen. Well, maybe the Contax S.

But you can just take a pair of tweezers and short the contacts out, releasing the shutter. That's all the cable release does, so you don't need to buy one to test it.

Monopix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 88

Posted on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"The LED light coming out of the body is a small red light at the bottom right hand below the "railing guides" when the back is open."

Yes, that's the data back LED.

Guy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monopix-OK Now I get it. Yes it does light up when I press shutter. Thank you for your patience & understanding. I'm on a learning curve and greatly appreciate your help (&Mikel's).
Strange thing--I left the camera off for two days, and today is the first time that when I turn it on, it operates normally. I don't have to go through the scenario mentioned a few post ago. Don't know why, buy I'm really ecstatic about this! AGAIN HUGE THANKS!!Keep up the great work of helping us!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration