Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Trip 35 film advance problem - jammin... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Trip 35 film advance problem - jamming/sticking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mrjameskent
Tinkerer
Username: Mrjameskent

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I've just acquired a Trip 35, and have run one roll through it so far with no issues.

I've put another roll in, and it has started making a clicking/strained sound when advancing the frame, and it's quite difficult to advance it. The frame number in the screen advances, but the left hand crank does not move round.

It sounds like the film is slipping off the sprockets inside, and has that kind of feel to it through the back plate.

Is this a common occurrence? I'm loathe to rewind the film and discard it but am more concerned its a bigger issue with my particular Trip.

Thanks all,
j

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 57

Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like the film may not have been loaded quite correctly.
You can "re-load" the film wihout ruining the photos already taken.
Simply make note of the frame you are on and re-wind the film just until you feel it release from the take-up spool. You can now remove the film and you should still have a short length of film still outside of the canister.
When you re-load the film back into the camera, simply leave the lens cap on (or cover with some other light tight object) and keep tripping the shutter and winding the film until you reach the number of frames that you had originally taken. You may want to go one or two frames more just to make sure you don't get a double exposure.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 273

Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Given that the Trip objects to trying to take a photo with the lens cap on, make sure it isn't set to "A" when you try the above, or you will just get the red flag!

Mrjameskent
Tinkerer
Username: Mrjameskent

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys... ha, I rewound it too far! Ah, oh well.

Does the tension change when it comes away from the take-up spool or is there any other clue. It's something I'll make sure to feel for next time - might use a free film to experiment doing that - good for multiple exposures as well.

Thanks again
J

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 274

Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you go slowly, you should feel a change in tension as it comes off, and perhaps hear a noise as it disengages from the spool, though I wouldn't rely on the latter.

You can also get tools for extracting the leader from a film cassette - though, having used on for the first time last night, I can tell you that they do take practice, there is definitely a knack to it!

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 58

Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Adrian, I forgot that the Trip won't fire in low light...and yes it is a "feel" thing when rewinding the film. I go very slowly and as soon as I feel or hear a change, I stop.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration