Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta x300 capacitor Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta x300 capacitor « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kennym
Tinkerer
Username: Kennym

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,does anyone know where i can get a capacitor 6v 220 microf, in the uk,
cheers,

John_cribbin
Tinkerer
Username: John_cribbin

Post Number: 14

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 04:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, my first port of call would be maplin.co.uk they carry a large range of caps. I've found them very helpful in the past, if they can't supply, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

John

Walter
Tinkerer
Username: Walter

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I remember correctly, the capacitor which fires the shutter in the X-300 is 4V/220microfarad. The standard ELKO at 6V is probably to large to be mounted in the camera. Try to substitute this ELKO with a Tantal type ELKO, which is tiny and will fit into the gap in the cameras body. Check polarity, you do not replace a capacitor but an elko. I hope I was able to express my thaughts clearly using my bad english.
Walter

Kennym
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,thanks for all your advice,ordered a pack of 10 from micro- tools,it says for x700, but i think they will be for x300 also,anyone fitted these?please advise.
cheers,kenny

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 55

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like he said, be sure to get the polarity (+/-) correct. A backwards capacitor can burn and do other nasty stuff, though at such a low voltage it's more likely it just won't work right. Other than that, it's just a mechanical job of fitting it into a tight space, and making good electrical connections. You do know how to use a soldering iron, right?

Kennym
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi,took the bottom plate off,the right hand wire is greenish and there is a gap where it goes into the capacitor,so it does look like thats the problem,i havnt used a soldering iron since i was at school,over 50yrs ago,any tips on getting the right one for the job,cheers

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 58

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You don't want to use anything too large, both physically (tip size) and too hot. I'd say something in the 25-40 watt range would be about right. (You can actually cause harm by using an iron that isn't hot enough, since it'll take longer to heat the parts you're trying to solder and could fry something.) And use a soldering iron, not a gun.

The key here, as in so many other areas, is cleanliness: make sure the tip is clean. I just use an ordinary sponge and water. Tin the tip (melt some solder on it) before soldering. And be sure to use electronics solder (rosin core), not acid core stuff made for plumbing! Other than that, it ain't rocket surgery. If in doubt, practice on something outside the camera first.

Kennym
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for the advice,will let you know how i get on when i get all the gear together and have a go,

Walter
Tinkerer
Username: Walter

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Soldering: David postet a lot of hints you should consider. Be careful with the contact points on the circuit board. The circuit is printed on a thin flexible foil which is not this heat resistant as the pertinax material you may know form your last soldering work which was in the 50th! Personally I prefer old electronics solder (before 2000) because the new material is lead free and its melting point is higher.
Walter

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 89

Posted on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too late now but I posted info of a UK supplier in a previous post at https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/15219.html

I've also got a few spare if anyone else needs one.

Kennym
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi all,well ive done it,using paper clips to keep the capacitor in place,a small piece of cardboard for a firm base i soldered the new one in place,the camera now works fine,thanks for all your advice,
cheers,kenny

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration