Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina Reflex (025)top cover removal... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Retina Reflex (025)top cover removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Walter
Tinkerer
Username: Walter

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 06:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Retina Reflex 025 is still working well mechanically, but it is quite disturbing when viewing a lot of dust when looking through the viewfinder. I used the search function of this forum and there was a thread some years ago dealing with exact the same problem. Unfortunately the suggested solution was to leave the Retina as it is. As I have opened a lot of cameras in the last years and fixed simple faults sucessfully (also Retina and Retina Reflex), I did try to open the 025 type. (Un)fortunately I was not able to remove the top cover, there is a special connection of lightmeter to lightmeter-dial which is impossible for me to disengage. Do I need a special tool? Is it possible to remove the top cover complete with the lightmeter assembly as the lightmeter is not coupled. Can somebody help me, or is there a serious reason why the top cover is not removable the simpe way as with so many other cameras.
Thanks for your advice,
Walter

Connealy
Tinkerer
Username: Connealy

Post Number: 26

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What looks like dust may actually be de-silvering of the prism which is very common in the Retina. Unless you have a replacement available, it may not be worthwhile opening the top.
It has been a while since I got the top off mine, so am hazy on the details. I don't think there was anything very unusual about it. It is possible that the light seal around the prism is just a bit stuck.

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 13

Posted on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To remove the top of the Retina Reflex you need to unscrew the rewind knob, use your fingers. Remove the two screws below it. Remove the single screw on the end of the top cover. Remove the pinhead screw on the top plate near the rewind. Remove the pinhead screw on top of the meter. Lift off the meter dials and then the top cover should just lift off.

Regards, Chris

Walter
Tinkerer
Username: Walter

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 12:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your help so far. Unfortunately the meter dial is held in place by a snap-ring which itself is sinked into the dial ring so it can not be removed the usual way (there is no clearance to snap off the snap-ring). The camera never was opened before so this part is original. Maybe there is a special tool to remove this snap-ring.

Chris, the way you showed up is the normal way with other Retinas, I did it with no problems myself often. But this type of mounting the meter-dial I have never seen before.
Connealy, yes that could be right but there is also dirt in the camera which I want to remove anyway (before some other mechanics got stuck)
Walter

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 14

Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you send me some pictures of this meter ring and the snap-ring please. My email is [email protected]

Regards, chris

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 244

Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you guys ever figure this out? I have the factory manual for the Type 034 Reflex S.

Koni_we
Tinkerer
Username: Koni_we

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 04:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I have a problem, and I guess it is related to that one discribed here:
I also want to remove the top cover of my Retina Reflex (type 025), but i actually miss a tool to unscrew that "pinhead screw".
You have any shop/ link where I can purchase such a tool?

I guess you all might know the part, though I added a picture of it.

Regards and thank you for your advice,
koni.

Koni_we
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 04:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.abload.de/img/img_3049qe6i.jpg
the picture

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 181

Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What you need is called a spanner, one with pin tips, like one from this page (Micro Tools).

This is an American company, but I seem to remember they (or a similar company) have a German outlet. Anyone here know about that?

Anyhow, I'm sure there's a supplier in your locale that can sell you this tool.

Agno3
Tinkerer
Username: Agno3

Post Number: 16

Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may have trouble getting this off with a spanner due to the difference in size between the tool and the part.

I found a set of pliers at an art supply store that look like needle nose but are round pins instead. The tips slide right in and screw those little fittings right off.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 71

Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may want to try another method first.
Try a simple pencil with a rubber erasor on the end. You could also fashion your own tool made from a wooden dowel with a piece of rubber glued to the end.
If you are lucky, the screw will be "loose" enough to remove by friction alone. There is no chance to create scratches and you will save yourself some money.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 182

Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spanners are reversible, so they'll be able to handle all screws, no matter how close together the holes are. But there are other tools that will do the trick. Friction tools, like the rubber pieces suggested by Wayne, are good if they work. But if the screw is in too tight, a friction tool won't do the job.

You could actually make your own tool out of a pair of pliers by simply grinding the tips into blunt points. Lots of ways to skin this particular cat. (But better not to try pushing with a single screwdriver or similar; that's probably where those scratches in the picture you posted came from.)

Koni_we
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 04:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot for your advices;

The scratches on top are from my first try with my dividers, but they were actually to weak or the screw to tight.
That was the point, when I decided asking somebody who might have an idea how to unscrew such a "pinhead screw"..

I already removed the top cover of my Retina IIc (small c), which was much easier, as you only need screw drivers in correct size for that.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration