Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Mat 124 G focus knob removal ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica Mat 124 G focus knob removal and more! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 59

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 07:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do I remove the focus knob? I have the film reminder "window" removed and I expected to see a screw, but there is just a hole through the plate with the film types on it. Through the hole I can see a shaft, but there doesn't appear to be a fastener to remove.

Also, there is an issue with the focus. When I focus to infinity and back again, the right side of the lens board lags behind the left side, resulting in the board not being square to the film plane. I can gently push the board back into position, but it returns to the incorrect position when I focus to infinity again.
Any ideas as to the problem?

Walter
Tinkerer
Username: Walter

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have checked this issue with my Yashica Mat-124 (ist is not the G type), but when I remove the screwed in plate (on the G this plate ist the film type reminder) there is indeed a shaft (which you can already see) and this shaft is fixed with a nut on the focusing knob. You just have to remove the plate completely.
Walter

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 60

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can see the shaft. Is the nut larger and brass?
I thought I would have to remove the coloured film type reminder, but I could not see an easy way to remove it. I didn't want to pry it up for fear of causing too much damage.
There appears to be a ring holding the edge of the plate in place, but I can't see how it comes off (no slots for a spanner).

Walter
Tinkerer
Username: Walter

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes you can see the brass nut through the little hole. Unfortunately I can not tell you wether the plate at your camera ist simply clicked in place or is screwed - mine on the mat-124 is threaded. I would suppose first try to screw of the plate. Maybe someone else has experience with the 124G.
Walter

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 235

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For what it is worth: the difference between a Yashica Mat 124 and a Yashica Mat 124G is the 124G has gold plated electrical contacts for the meter circuits. Everything else is supposed to be the same.

Waynemel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 61

Posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To end this thread...
I managed to remove the film type plate, it was glued on. I was able to loosen and remove the brass nut by using a screwdriver through the small hole in the plate. I then pushed the film type plate off from the back. I'm glad I didn't try to pry it off.
The ring that I thought was holding the plate in place is actually part of the knob and doesn't hold the plate at all.

I was also able to fix the focus problem by cleaning out the old grease and adjusting the position of the cam follower. The lens board now retracts evenly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration