Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-1 problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XG-1 problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Markov87
Tinkerer
Username: Markov87

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 06:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is what happened. I've winded the film for the next shot, pressed the shutter and nothing happened. Light meter went off. I tried to turn off camera, and on again, light meter works, but if i press the shutter button it goes off, and the shutter doesn't move. I tried new batteries, but nothing changed...

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 162

Posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounds like the classic capacitor failure. My X-370 clone did exactly the same and changing the capacitor cured it. I'm not sure if that problem is also found with the XG-1 but it is unfortunately found often with the other x-series cameras (X-370/X-570/X-700).
Have a look here:
http://www.ruedig.de/kamera/x300.htm (German only)

Markov87
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, that's not a heavy problem! I tried to find capacitor specification for XG-1, but didn't have much luck. Is it the same as on x series?

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 163

Posted on Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I will open my XG-1 if you don't have an answer by tomorrow and have a look.

Markov87
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 01:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't have luck to find specification, someone told me that i can put 110uF, of 6.3V or higher... is that correct?

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 196

Posted on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Minolta made several models of the popular XG-1.

The earliest had dipped capacitors, possibly tanatlum. These never seem to fail.

The second and third series had the aluminum caps also used on the XG-M and X series which were cheaper. They are all the same.

PC computer mainboards now use the cheap caps also as no one is expected to use the item past five years or so.

As the chassis voltage of the Minoltas is three volts, any cap with that or higher rating should work.

Polarity is vital and you can just touch the leads of the replacement cap to the circuit board with the dead cap in place and attempt to release the shutter. If it works you have your solution. If not reverse the leads and try again.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 164

Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
tried to open up my XG-1 but failed miserably because lacking a fitting screw driver. Looks like the screws are tinier than the ones on my x-370 (original and clone). Sorry.

I just learned from Mikels posting that there a variations in the XG-1 models so maybe it would be the easiest if you just have a look at the capacitor in your camera.

When buying a replacement a higher Voltage value should be no problem the µF value should be the same - according to the website I quoted earlier.
Mikel has already mentioned it: Polarity is important!

Markov87
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bad news guys. I've replaced the capacitor, but nothing changed. The original had the 145uF on the meter, and was working properly. What now?

Markov87
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, camera is repaired, and works properly. It turned out that it was a mechanical problem, and the shutter was stuck, in combination with winder stucking. After that, all worked properly. So, just keep in mind that typical "capacitor" sympthoms do not need to be that...

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 165

Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 05:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congrats - great to hear that it is working again. Sorry if I was misleading - but as I said in my first post my answers was based on my experience with an X-370 (clone). I also made the experience that the Winder G sometimes does not fully complete it's circle and one has to wind on manually for the last "click".
Anyway - most important is that it is working again.

Ronnies
Tinkerer
Username: Ronnies

Post Number: 13

Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry to but in here, but is there a known fix for that Winder G problem? I have a winder G that doesn't complete the wind on with my XG-1 but which worked fine on another Minolta body.

Ronnie

Markov87
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, February 01, 2010 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After 16 shots, problem appeared again... Damn.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration