Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon 35/1.4 MF: mount reassembly pro... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon 35/1.4 MF: mount reassembly problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Johnphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Johnphoto

Post Number: 26

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was lucky enough to find a factory AI conversion ring for my non-AI 35/1.4. All went smoothly, I put it on the camera, shot, everything works OK. However I've realized that something is off. All my other Nikkors' stop-down tabs (the tab actuated by the camera) are "springy" over the entire travel when the lens is set to minimum aperture and no travel with max aperture set. Springy over travel at intermediate stops. With my 3.5/1.4N it is springy at min aperture; but set at 1.4 the diaphragm is open but the tab can move freely over the range. At intermediate stops it is springy over the range between wide open (where the camera pushes it up for viewing) and the set aperture, then slack.

It's the kind where a long tab reaches down into the lens. It's very hard to see exactly what it engages, and I can't discover another way to put it together that works. I wonder what I'm missing. (Since it works as is I could just not worry about it).

On the plus side the lens was very yellow (thorium radiation). After 5 days under a compact fluorescent black light, the yellow has almost all gone.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration