Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Small spring needed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Small spring needed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Douwe
Tinkerer
Username: Douwe

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everybody,

I am repairing the film transport of a mamiya c220 I got from a friend. It seems to me that a spring in the dividing disk is too loose to force the black ring to its proper position relative to the silver ring.
The spring is 2mm long, 1.2mm across, and stretches to 6mm when in use.
Does anybody know where I can find a replacement. I am based in Amsterdam, but the postage isn't going to kill me so anywhere would be fine.

Mamiya c220 dividing disk with small spring

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 62

Posted on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you sure that's the problem? From what I can tell from this photo (which is a bit on the small side), the spring looks fine. Doesn't appear to be deformed in any way. Is it possible that perhaps dirt or something sticky is interfering with the rotation of these rings? Just a thought.

Douwe
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 01:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,

Yes you might be right. I am quite sure at least that the black ring doesn't snap back as fast as it should. Do these springs loose their tension after 25 years?
Alternatively, what would be a auitable lubricant?

Thanks,
Douwe

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 64

Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 02:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since I don't know the exact location or function of these parts, I can only take an educated guess, which would be to use grease since they're part of the film transport mechanism. Others here could probably give a more reliable opinion. But certainly you'd want to clean everything first before applying new lubricant.

And no, springs shouldn't lose tension even after 50 years, unless they've been stretched past their tensile limit, which doesn't appear to have happened here.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 189

Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The spring looks as good as new.

Try using a dry silicon or graphite lubricant instead of grease. These parts must move freely.

Also check to see if there are any burs or distortions on the edges that may cause it to hang up?

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 65

Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Agree, but be careful if you choose graphite: it's easy to get it in lenses if you're not careful. The nice thing about graphite is that it's a completely dry lubricant.

I'd still like to hear from an "expert" what the correct lubricant would be to use here.

Douwe
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 03:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for all the good advice so far. I will try to clean the parts, use some graphite and reassemble. To give a bit more information on the parts and their environment:
both rings are mounted on a single white plastic disk. The black ring moves freely apart from the attached spring, the silver ring is fixed to the white disk on top of the black ring. The black ring should move freely between the plastic and the silver ring.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 191

Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 03:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This part is very isolated from the lens since the TLR's workings are inside and sealed in the camera body, not anywhere near the lens.

Besides when putting on graphite, rub it into the part, not splash it around inside the camera. I like the dry silicon spray. It tends to stick where it is intened and doesn't spread once dry.

Douwe
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Problem solved. Cleaning the surfaces revealed some rough spots that were probably caused by grit trapped in the mechanism. careful sanding, cleaning, and lubricating did the job.

Thanks to all of you for the helpful advice. Back to picture taking for me!

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 193

Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those cameras don't die from hard work, they die of lonelyness. A little cleaning and they are as good as new.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration