Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Using Cricut craft machine to recover... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Using Cricut craft machine to recover cameras « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 242

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While watching an info-mercial for Cricut, the craft making machine, it dawned on me that it might be possible to use it (or similar machines) for cutting leather/vinyl to recover our old cameras.

Minor web research shows some people have hacked the Cricut to make it do what they want beyond the machines programming and that other more expensive machines exist with more control.

So, I am wondering if any of you have come up with the same idea or have made progress beyond theorizing.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 190

Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That looks like a great idea for a small cottage industry. Get paterns of different cameras scaned in the computer and plot em on your vinal cutter.

This isn't the only machine out there that can do this ya know. Hermes, a sign machine company, makes all sorts of vinal cutting machine in all price ranges n sizes. Cutting the leatherete is no big deal for these plotters.

BTW if you have enough of a market, I have access to a 2000Watt laser cuting machine that can cut anything from 1/2" steel to delicate engraving, cutting plastics and wood veneers. If you can draw it in Autocad, I can have it cut for you.

paul ron, nyc
automax1@juno.com

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 66

Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting; searching the web finds a bunch of stuff related to New Hermes: is this the manufacturer of these machines? What's the price range? Any links to these products?

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 192

Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 03:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes that is the company that makes the sign machines. Google em to find their site. If you need a contact call their 800 number and ask for Vinny, he's was the guy I dealt with.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration