Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon F1 light seals Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon F1 light seals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stevet
Tinkerer
Username: Stevet

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found an old Canon F1 that I thought I'd replace the light seals on. I only see a thin rubber-type strip on the body at the door hinge, and the top and bottom groove seals on the body. I see no seal(s) at all on the latch end of the door. Does the F1 have this simple of a sealing system, or is the camera missing some seals?

I'm wondering if I really even need the F1 since I already have two FTb's and an AE-1 Program, but I don't see too many "pro" level bodies, so I may want to keep it around. It it THAT much better than an FTb, other than the shutter speeds going to 2000 on the F1? I mean, I know the F1 takes a lot of accessories that the FTb doesn't, but I don't see buying a bunch of accessories for it just because they fit the camera.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 197

Posted on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have two FTb's and an AE-1 Program you have likely been through the light seal replacement drill already. You obviously have a Canon commitment at some level.

Are you actually asking if an F1 is really worth having?

If it doesn't appeal, replace the light seals, sell it, and buy some more FD lenses.

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 47

Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 01:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stevet
The Canon F1 only has seals on the top and bottom rails, plus a fabric seal on the end under the hinge.
The smooth action of the F1 advance and shutter may help you make your mind up about keeping it.
****** Keep it *****

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 23

Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you don't want it, I will accept it. What will you take in trade?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 739

Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is obvious from your post that you have no need of the F1's extra qualities and functions over the FTb. If you were exposing 15/20 rolls of film per week under all conditions, you would certainly know which to keep - chalk and cheese. If you have no desire to really get to grips with the F1 and find out what it will do, then take Mikel's excellent advice and increase the usability of your FTb and AE-1P bodies.

Stevet
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 03:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fiftyfifty answers my question. Thank you very much.

Stevet
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I replaced the seals in the F1 and shot a roll of 400 color through it with my FD 35mm F2 lens. Nice pics. The camera, although sort of beat up looking, seems to work flawlessly, meter and all. I've been using zinc air 675 cells to power the old Canons and they do the trick nicely.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration