Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Reflex-Korelle shutter/wind Coupling Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Reflex-Korelle shutter/wind Coupling « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Philacamera
Tinkerer
Username: Philacamera

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, this camera seems to be a kind of unique animal, with the wire-coupled wind and the huge curl of spring steel providing the momentum for the shutter gears(?)... I've never seen anything like it, and having looked all over the internet to find something written about working on these, I have come up dry. Does anyone have any experience working on these? In particular getting that metal ribbon installed underneath the speed selector? PLEASE advise!

Shacksmac
Tinkerer
Username: Shacksmac

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. If you have not already solved the problem I may be able to help a little as I have experienced it myself. Post a message if you would like more help.

Philacamera
Tinkerer
Username: Philacamera

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated! I'm afraid I've gotten in beyond my current skills. Particularly, I'm confused by the spring steel ribbon under the speed selector. Is it part of the shutter escapement? I see the slots in the casing where it should ultimately be secured, but how does one thread it back into place? Is this type of mechanism seen in any other camera? Many thanks in advance for any information you might be able to provide!

Rolf
Tinkerer
Username: Rolf

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
I have the very same problem. What is the trick to get the spring wound back in to the hub and the wire wound around it and then put it all neatly into the cover plate, without the spring shooting across the room again. I guess the spring only returns the advance lever on the other side, it has nothing to do with the shutter itself.
Thanks for any information any of you can give me,
rolf

Shacksmac
Tinkerer
Username: Shacksmac

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 02:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rolf

I guess from what you say that the complete shutter-wind mechanism and that the Bowden cable is still OK and attached at both the lever-wind end and the shutter-cocking end.

Carefully release the bolt-headed screw that secures the cable end to the shutter wind 'pulley' noting exactly how it is attached and move it away from the mechanism (the length of the cable is critical). As you realise, the long coil spring sits between the inside of the black casing and the outer circumference of the centre 'core' of the nickle-plated brass 'pulley'. Wind the spring onto the core by attaching the inner end of the spring through a slit in the core so that the turned-over end to the spring catches and is anchored into the machined-out recess on the inner face of the core. Viewed from top of camera the tensioning of the spring is clockwise.

Wind the spring by rotating the pulley so that the length of the spring is pulled through a slot in the black casing. This is tricky but not too difficult. Make sure the whole action is tight so that the spring is not allowed to do anything other than coil up on itself. The final outer-end of the spring should again be a turned over 'hook' to catch on the side slot of the black casing. If you can find a way of making sure this end is secure it will be an advantage otherwise the spring has a habit of easing itself out of the casing and cannot be pushed back the way it came out.(Later models of the camera had a small screw to hold the spring end secure.)
The cable has now to be re-attached to the pulley which will need to be tensioned by a little less than one revolution so that when the cable is attached, and the tension released, the cable is pulled taut.

I hope this makes sense to you and you are able to persevere. Can I also say that many enquiries about obtaining suitable Bowden cable in the UK have come to nothing so I am experimenting with fishing line!

If you know a sure way of tensioning the Reflex Korelle shutter blinds there are many out there would be pleased to hear of it.

Mike Shackel

Rolf
Tinkerer
Username: Rolf

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mike, this helps a lot, I'll let you know how I made out, first I have to get up my courage to tackle this baby. How did Philacamera make out?
cheers,
rolf

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration