Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Signet 40: Advance lever problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Kodak Signet 40: Advance lever problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sweetnightmare
Tinkerer
Username: Sweetnightmare

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone

My first post to the group. I'm a bit new to repairing cameras.

I have two Signet 40's with similar problems. Both have issues with the advance lever. One does not lock, and doesn't make the usual sound you hear when advancing. My other one has the same problem except sometimes it locks randomly and I can't take a picture when it does.

I opened the bottom on both, the problem doesn't seem to be there. I have tried to open the top plate, I tried the method recommended on this website but the winding knob will not budget and that is a problem because there is a screw underneath that I cannot get to.

I really want to fix these. I have hear so many good things about this certain model. I am not into having cameras as decorations.

Here is a photo of the screw I can't get to. Any advice would be awesome. I am complete stuck, I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance.
Liana

Sweetnightmare
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kodak Signet 40: Screw under the winding knob

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 67

Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you really can't get the disk off the shaft, this looks like a job for a right-angle screwdriver. I just bought a set of 3 at a dollar store; for a small screw like this, you might have to modify the screwdriver tip a bit by grinding or filing.

Have you tried unscrewing the disk from the shaft (carefully)? (Could be left-hand threads, depending on which way the shaft normally turns.)

Sweetnightmare
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 02:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried the method mentioned here https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/topcoverremoval.html
to remove it.

Even if I do get the right angle screwdriver, I will still not be able to fully access the top of the camera without removing the rewinding knob.

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 71

Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, yes, the right-angle screwdriver wasn't such a hot idea for that very reason. I'm still convinced that that disk is screwed onto the shaft.

Whichever way the disk is normally turned to wind the film (counterclockwise?), you need to turn it in the opposite direction to unscrew it. But carefully; it's possible to break threads with too much force. (Don't ask me how I know that.)

You may need to hold the shaft with a pair of pliers to unscrew it (using a cloth to avoid gouging it up).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration